1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Once in a Blue Moon

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Skywalker, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

That's how often I get a project like these. There was a time I swore I would never do another Walrus but here I am, on a blue moon no less, back in the saddle again! The client on this one wants something "unique" so I have decided to make a wall pedestal tusker for him. Should be interesting and good practice for the 2 full mounts I have to do next. I'll post progress on this thread. 8)

Attached Files:

2. Looking good.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Now that would be one hell of a change up in my shop. I couldn't imagine mounting a lifesize. Not likely to ever happen. I'm sure it will look great.

4. Wow very cool man!!! Cant wait to see final results!!!

5. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Thats BAD A$$ !!!

6. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Thats cool but it must be a pain to do ;)

7. Skywalker

Prepping a Walrus cape is a definately a pain as those deep thick whiskers are next to impossible to navigate. I draw out lines on a foam block and pull them so I can roughly place them where they were. There are small ones that are buried and I put them into a container as back ups if needed. Once they are out it's easy to pare away the matter and get the proper muzzle shape when it goes back together. 8)

Attached Files:

8. Wow, would hate to flesh that. Very impressed with the work around whiskers.

9. impressive!! now thats time consuming detail! what a beautiful mount thats going to be! Fantastic job!! thanks for the great pics! Ive never done anything like that.

10. Skywalker

The next order of business is alterations. But not without reference. The client has informed me where it will hang and this is the "unsquare" composition I have in mind. 8)

Attached Files:

11. Allie

Allie Active Member

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!"

Does this mean you don't complain anymore?

12. Skywalker

You know me better than anyone! You tell me.

13. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

As much of a pain those things maybe. It's got to be cool to mount them.
    I would have no clue where to start

14. Skywalker

Well I have the pedestal alterations ready and have yet to make the rocks. I don't have the eyes but a road trip to Calgary is happening tomorrow for supplies and maybe a wee bit of partying. Anyhoo, the mounting is soon. 8)

Attached Files:

15. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Way cool
    Ralph

16. Skywalker

Decided to do the ocean rocks before I mount. Eyes have arrived so I'm just about ready to put this sucker together! 8)

Attached Files:

17. Skywalker

Up and mounted and ready for the whiskers. 8)

Attached Files:

18. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Nice work Ken!!

19. Skywalker

Whiskers are in and now just a bit of nursing as it dries. I will post up a finished photo when it's done. 8)

Attached Files:

20. What an unusual mount. Great job , thanks for sharing it.