1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing claws for skeletal articulation

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bones N Beasts, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Bones N Beasts

Bones N Beasts New Member

Who degreases claws? When they're getting ready to articulate something. Do you use acetone dawn or ammonia? Have you ever damaged any claws?

2. horsefeathers

horsefeathers Member

Re: Degreasing Claus for skeletal articulation

I start with maceration to get the claw sheaths off. Once the claw-sheaths are off the bones of the claws I degrease just like I would any other bone with dawn and/or ammonia in hot water.

The claws-sheaths I give a good scrub, maybe a quick dip into hydrogen peroxide to clean them up, then I pack them in borax until the claw bones are done.

3. Bones N Beasts

I've already beetle cleaned them. Is it nessacary to remove them before degreasing?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The outer claws come off soon after maceration starts. I pull them all off and store them in water with a little alcohol added in the freezer until I am ready to re assemble. All the other bones are cleaned and degreased normally in heated Dawn without anything else. Occasionally straight ammonia if something is being difficult. I only use acetone and a Dawn cycle if something is really stubborn.

5. Bones N Beasts

Thanks for the replies. What's the best way to go about removing the claw sheaths after being beetle cleaned?

6. akvz

akvz New Member

Soak 'em in water for a day and the claws will pop off the sheaths without much issue.