1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(POLL)Masters division at the world show

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Jerry Huffaker, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

To throw a similarity in here, I see that same type of disagreement, complaining, whining, whatever you want to call it, at the many car show comp.s I've attended. I've heard guys state they didn't win best of show, etc., because the head judge is not a Chevy guy or a Ford guy, etc.
    The worst complaints are with peer judging where a common statement is "Well, yeah, he had all his (fill in the blanK) buddies vote for him." Happened to me the last time with my goat. Awards were given to the top 20 cars out of around 300. I hit the number 20 spot luckily and heard someone say I got in because all my GTO buddies voted for me. I just shook my head as for one there were only a handful of goats there and I didn't know any of them....lol.
    I also had a judge at one show tell me to "stick around" as my engine scored the highest. At the end of the show some other guy took best engine. What was that all about? Don't know and I don't care. What I do know in both my fish and car comp's is that sometimes I placed better than I thought and other times, not. Kinda evens out over time, the full circle theory if you will.
    I've got Best of Show, Presidents choice, Peoples choice, Best muscle car,etc, that surprised me and other times, didn't make the cut. The end result over the years is that I have too many damn trophies now to move into my new house.....lol. The good thing about car shows is that you can still do a burnout after the show to celebrate or just to relieve the pressure....lol. It all looks the same.
    It's a comp but its still someone's opinion on a given day. I don't think you can ever combat the human factor no matter how some people think it can be fine tuned. Take what ya get, plan on trumping what you did for the next one and move on is how I feel..........

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, good point.
    Brian, this happens in competitions regardless of what for. I've seen it, and George may have as well, in competition shooting, where the facts are right there to compare side by side. Some folks just cannot believe that they can be bested. Confidence is good, but conceit is not.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Nice!

5. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

The comment John made was pertaining to an attitude of a judge prior to even looking at the work. That could (and should) be changed any time it's heard.

I was the Judge's Chairman. Jim Tucker was the Competition Chairman. Heath Cline and Todd Broussard were also on these committees. We were all present during the judging. This So-Called Issue was not presented to anyone. As far as I'm concerned, the judges did an excellent job. Very satisfied with the job they did. Schoolyard talk. Nothing more. Had a REAL issue been brought to any one of us it would have been addressed, but since it wasn't, I see no need to address it now.

Tim Thacker

6. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

Hahahaha I see George has got this one right again, and you Carolin are still burning bridges no matter where you go. You tried to destroy the Canadian Taxidermy Association with your bullshit and now we are glad you have moved up the ladder to try and get it your way with other associations. Keep at it your reputation isn't totally mud yet but you are getting there and your bullshit attitude is starting to shine when you are called on your crap. You are a sore loser and expect that you should win hands down at every competition and when you don't win you always whine and complain and carry grudges. That's what you are made of and good luck in the future as you keep burning bridges and burying yourself. You have many followers that are laughing at you knowing your reputation. Keep up the great work we enjoy the entertainment.

Regards,
    Sam

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

Dear Sam

I have met you 2 times in my life. But I know your reputation.

You do not know the truth as you have only heard it from one side. And that side is who is totally to blame.

There are many former members that know the truth.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

And that says it all......

9. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Now, now, children. Don't make me seperate you all!

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I've been faithfully following this thread.
    Hold on for a moment -- don't anybody say anything until I can make another batch of popcorn!

11. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Why not just make another category or division to enter this type of mount in? That should and would settle all debates and arguments.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Why not just leave the system alone and let the whiners and the moaners just get over it. But then again, I keep forgetting these are the Obama years. Everyone is special and needs to unstuck from the short bus windows.

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

There already is red fisher, "master of masters", it's a division for previous best of world winners and the judges.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

One of the problems that has given rise to this argument is how high the quality of taxidermy has gotten. When you take a silver or bronze meddalion at the world show you really could have won it on any other given day. There is nothing worse as a judge than having to decide between 2 equally scoring pieces that are great for 2 different reasons. Which reason is better? I make a decision and bring in the other judges and have them decide. I did this in Norway and the judges agreed with me and in an American show it was the opposite. There is not a lot of TKO's these days. If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

That's the best possible solution.

16. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I would hate to see the day that there is BIG money involved in winning competitions. There would surely be a killing.
    Its a shame that there ARE gray areas in competing , judging and competitions, but it is what it is.For whatever reason, some things will never change.
    The best thing to do is recognize the gray areas and avoid them if at all possible. Thats what I do now and I intend to do it from now on.
    Choose your battles wisely!!