1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

freezerburn around goose head.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jon_wilhelm, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm working on a Canada goose that appears to have suffered some freezer burn. It hasn't been a big issue except around the head. The skin is fused to the skull around the edges and it is proving difficult to separate. I was wondering if there are any ways of making this area more workable or if the bird is ruined?
    Thanks in advance.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Inject either stop rot or soap and water into the areas. Sometimes returning to freezer for a while, after injecting, appears to help.

3. vmax

vmax Member

Make a bowl of soap water with a lot of Dawn.....drop the whole head in there for about 24 hours.

Should solve the problem.

You can inject to speed up the process....it will be difficult to get the fluid between the skin and head with the freezer burn.

I will never say it's not worth a try...that's how we all learn.

Good Luck!

4. Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to try and work with it.

5. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

I just did 3 birds that sat basically unpackaged for 3 years in a freezer. Used a insulin syringe(?) and injected warm soapy water under the skin all around the head. Between the eyes from the bill and around the bill are the easiest places to inject because its all skull for the most part. Further back and its tough not to get the needle too far in the skull.

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

try this product, Matuska Ultra Soft Relaxer

7. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Do you guys recommend I get myself some stop rot for doing birds? Or some other type of chemical like that?

AKA. Is "stop rot" something every bird taxidermist should own?

8. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

StopRot is something every TAXIDERMIST should own. Not just bird guys. I use it on everything. ...even myself.