1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wildlife Fur Dressing slipping?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Duckslayr, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Anyone have any feedback on Wildlife Fur Dressing with slippage? I've had a higher than normal slippage rate since switching to them. Could be coincidence, but it's been pretty consistent.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Have you called them and asked them for reviews on why? Are you skins wet tanned, or dried? Lot of factors go in slippage before a person can blame a tannery.

3. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I never experienced any slippage from Wildlife. but I quit them because I had a higher than normal hide swiss cheese rate ;D . , Mark

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Come on now Frank. I've been around here long enough to not be mistaken for a rookie, and I didn't post this in the beginners section....

5. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Well, I'm going to assume that the slipping has been a coincidence, sense no one else has that complaint. For the record Mark, I've had no problem with their shaving so far, but thanks for the heads up.

6. Frank E. Kotula

LOL nobody said you were a rookie but you. I just answered your question honestly with the way it should be handled, If you been around a long time then there should be no need to ask. Just saying.

7. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Frank, that's ridiculous. "Ya, it's our fault, we've have stuff slip all the time" SAID NO TANNERY EVER! Lol!
    Two possibilities. Tannery or coincidence. Where do you think I will get an objective review of the tannery. From them????

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

That might be a valid point if HAD blamed the tannery. But honestly, do you think anyone that has mounted more than a hand full of animals isn't aware that a lot of factors go into slipping? Lol! Sounds like something one would say to a rookie to me, does it not?

Anyway, I do appreciate you watching out for unjustified tannery bashing. We're all trying to make a living. That wasn't what this thread was as you can see.

9. Frank E. Kotula

Ahh the question posted about them and slippage, yep you are blaming them and looking for others to agree with you. It's your words not mine. Mounting animals have nothing to do with tanning. Those who tan know what goes into getting a good tan. Slippage is a part of the business we all try and figure out what happened and it starts with the hunter and goes down the line till it goes to the tannery and yep they get blamed not matter what. I don't run one but tan a lot skins and been in many tanneries to see the works and what goes on.
    Have I had slippage? yep sure do and go nuts figuring out what caused it and try to find out why when I know how my steps were done properly. Sometimes I do and some I have no idea. Crap happens so I deal with it and fix it. If you don't like them and your out come of your hides find a new and if you still get slippage then it just might be their fault also. For the way I've see this, is you get slippage a lot just got more by this tannery. Hmm maybe something else causing it and not the tanneries.

10. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Wow Frank, that was REALLY BAD reading comprehension.... maybe your having an off week???

11. Frank E. Kotula

ROFLMAO doubt it

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If you used other tanneries in the past as I have and the product you sent them came back fine with out slippage, then it may be a coincidence or their product might have some problems. I have not used WFD, but I have not had any slipping problems from any tannery that I have used. Missing pieces, and blown apart mussels and ears have happened.

13. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Exactly. If this post produced a bunch of people who had unusual slipping with them, I would start looking elsewhere. Since that didn't happen, I'm chalking it up to coincidence. I almost never got slipping with my previous tannery, but tons of blown out ears and missing hooves.

14. Riddler

Riddler Member

I use them quite a bit for wet tanned capes and dry tanned flat skins. Never any serious problems, other then some poorly shaved deer capes recently. Just got a bunch of wet tanned exotic capes Friday from them, all were great!

15. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

I used to use them a few years back, had a couple hides slip. Switched to a different tannery, never have had one slip since.

16. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

I used to use them a few years back, had a couple hides slip. Switched to a different tannery, never have had one slip since.

17. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I have used them for about 5 years now. Slippage of hides from them for me is about normal, not to much. I have had a few bear that came back with what they call "rotted hole". It looks like a large fist size or larger ragged edge bullet exit wound. Never seen such a "hole" in 30 years. Not sure what's gong on, maybe my fault? In general I have had good results with their wet tan. Their dry tan on furbearers is not combed very good. Also have had a lot of errors in their office over the last 6 months. Billing 2 months after I received the skins, shipping to the wrong address and a lot of weird answers to my questions over the phone. I think they have a new guy in the office. Hopefully he will catch on soon. They cant take any cougar, that's a pain. I will probably stick with them because I like their wet tan capes and they way they bleach goats and dahl sheep.
    Randy