1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shop location question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by txoutdoors, Aug 7, 2015.

1. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I hope to go full time in the next year or two and my wife and I are debating location. The question is this:
    Does a shop on a major road bring in more business with drive by customers than advertising and working from your house (rural)?

I have to build a shop one way or another and plan to have it paid for day one so only the cost of land would be a factor.

Your thoughts?

2. A year ago I would have said no. But I can tell you for absolute certain. Yes, I bought a new building last year on a major Hwy. Not with a single thought that bypassers would just stop, but stop they do. Most important return with items. If someone had told me people would turn around and come back. I would have thought they were crazy. Best move I ever made. A year later I'm still amazed at the just stop to look traffic. And I'm telling you straight up. If I can get someone in the door I will set the hook.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Build it deep in the woods! Put up a sign at the head of the drive that reads; ......."&^%$ off!" When customers come by always answer the door with a double barrel shotgun in your hand (not an expensive one...but kind of rusty and dirty) and never look directly at them and always speak in the third person!! If the son's of b!tches come back you know your a good taxidermist and they will pay!!! The rest of them.....can *&^% off! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The problem with having it at your home is good ole boys think you are open 24/7. I have never had a taxidermy shop but I had an electronics repair shop out of my converted four car garage for eighteen years. It was a battle trying to get people to honor your business hours. I even put up a gate at the end of the drive. They would hop the gate coming up the drive yelling, "Anyone home?" Even though I closed years ago I still get people coming that say, "I called but the recording says your number is no longer in service. Did you know that?" Do yourself a favor, go into the debt for the land and build it elsewhere, change your home phone number and make the new number unlisted. Everyone needs a break from work now and then.

5. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Didn't consider the after hours impact. Good point.

6. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Ain't that the truth!

7. We have a commercial building on a country road, with a two lane state highway at each end. I can tell you that a quality sign in a good location is almost as good as a good location, and a lot cheaper.

8. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    If it's on a major road plan on it being like a bait shop. Lots of guys stopping by to drink coffee and never buying anything..

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

The choice is yours to make, but one thing we have learned is having a seperate "showroom/office" is awesome. We wound up that way by accident, but the setup is great. Clients NEVER come into our work area. When they arrive, by appointment only, we take them into the showroom area, which is in a separate building. There is a place to set their animals just outside in a freezer. Our showroom is large, we initially built it as a Trophy room/ mother in law house years before we started Taxidermy. But even a small space would work. The customer can look at our mounts, fill out paperwork, sign contracts ect, then leave.

If you have the opportunity to actually build your own shop, I would strongly recommended it. Let's face it....you just got done skinning a Coyote and a customer shows up.....ain't no Febreeze to cover that smell. Even if your shop is as immaculate as BuckFevers...taxidermy stinks, and though most guys don't mind, their wives sure do.

Our operation is on our property. We dont advertise. BUT we are completely fenced and gated....the Mastiff helps too. I don't think you are far from us. If you get over this way hollar and come see us. We'll show you our set up. Might give you some ideas.

10. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I have my shop at my house and have never had a problem with people showing up unexpectedly. Maybe I have unusually courteous customers but they always call first. The disadvantages of having it here is the fact that that work is always right there takes away from having normal work hours. Lots of late nights working. I would like to have the shop away from the house because it would help me be more disciplined to stick to a schedule and leave the work at work.

11. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

Put your shop anywhere,if your work is good enough they will come.Hell i drive 50 min for a good pizza.

12. BrookeSFD16 IS dead on the money. More than most guys will ever realize.
    My shop stays clean and smells good at all times for that very reasonBrookeSFD16 stated. I learned a long time ago the wives are a lot free-er with the check book if they are having a pleasant experience. Hell they will start adding on extras or I wont one of those. The husband is smiling like a possum eating grapes.. We have been told countless times Your shop dont look and smell like all the other shop they had been in before. I like hearing it ! The wive keeps a sensie pot going purdy much all the time. one in the lobby two in the work room
    Yotes , beavers, etc gets skinned out side when weather/temp permits. I have a room in the back that what we call for our eyes only (and nose) It has two large vents all the stinky, gross looking stuff takes place back there. when done wiped down with pine oil.

Brian Reinertson Is dead on as well stop they will, and talk and talk thats going to happen ! They very well may not but any thing, But they send buddies that do. Just keep working and let them talk . They all wind up just talking to each other anyways. When you finally hear some really good local gossip then you join in ! ;D ;D ;D ;D

13. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Brooke,
    I completely agree about the showroom. I am going on Michael P's philosophy that I need to create a showroom appealing to the wife's. Plan on a nice area with a desk, TV, couch.

Dan,
    I do agree that if the work is good, it lessens the impact and people will find you. I have been doing this for 10 years part time and have a good customer base established. Going to full time is going to take a lot more work that what I am currently getting if I want to eat all year (and I like to do that). I want to do everything I can to ensure success.

Capnmike,
    That's my life now...lol. Normal job 7-4 - taxi work 5-8 and weekends 12-14 hrs a day.

The wife wants the shop at the house. I want it where I get some exposure. I will run it like a real business - 8-5 M-F manned every day work or not. I don't feel it comes off as professional with the home - shop. I also don't feel like you get as much work if someone has to look you up and find an address vs the drive by traffic. I think there is some value to seeing something along the road that has a storefront.

14. gab

gab Active Member

if you are by yourself putting shop on main road will be a pain.Too many gawkers and passerby that don't spend anything plus too easy for all your customers to drop by just to check on their mounts on their way to somewhere else.But if you're going to sell deer feeders,etc . it would almost be a must for traffic purposes.