1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making the change to $650.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Aug 8, 2015.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

A few years ago I increased my price on a deer from $450 to $600 and my pigs from $600 to $800. I worried my business would slow down too much, but it increased too much. I finally started thinking it might be time to increase another $50 per animals so $650 for deer, $700 for exotics, and $850 for pigs. This is my off season and I took in 6 pigs and 2 fish last week alone. I asked several of my repeat customers what would they think if I raised my prices to such and such thinking they'd all say I should keep them the same since $650 is a chunk of change and they wouldn't want to pay more to me. All but one said to raise them up to what I posted. The one who didn't said to raise them $100 and then tell him $50 less so he could feel like he was getting a discount. Lol. All said I was meticulous and they wouldn't be going to anyone else and many said they were surprised I hadn't raised them earlier even though it's only been 2-3 years since I last raised them and I'm already higher than almost everyone else in my area. It feels good to have such loyal customers. Bill Yox, you predicted this would happen after your Yoxathon and I said I couldn't charge more because I was already more than everyone around me. You were right and I was wrong. Also, I have noticed my deer have continued to improve even though it's been a year since I was with you and my pig and bobcat are still getting better even though it's been a few years since I spent time with Rick Carter. Thanks, and to anyone considering taking advanced training, it's worth it.

2. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Charge whatever the market will bear! Less work, more money. That is a win-win situation. I don't do commercial work but if I did, I would be at least as high as the highest in a fifty mile radius of my shop. I still don't understand these guys around here that are at $299.00 for a head. How can they be making any money on a mount at that rate? Of course, their work is also crappy but too many customers do not know what good taxidermy is and think they are getting a great deal. Charge what you can boarhunter.

3. Western Wildlife Art Studio

Western Wildlife Art Studio STUDIO PHONE (406) 356-2100

Going up to $695.00 this year on all shoulder deer mounts and see no slowdowns here, as for the rest 5% across the board to keep up with the cost of living ..

4. mimes

mimes New Member

Those prices are great. Glad you can get them. Just for the audience tho........seems like I have seen you post that you have very little local competition? Correct me if I am wrong. That helps tremendously on pricing and numbers.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I have 7 taxidermists within 10 miles of me and I charge in the range of what boarhunter does. Don't ask me what the others charge though because I do not know and do not care.

Funny, when a taxidermist actually does charge a living wage there are always other taxidermists that give them some 'excuse' of while they can. My excuse is I run a business.

6. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

I recommend that the price be calculated based on the average gross hourly overhead to run the business, cost of materials and services (like tanning), the amount of time spent doing the work, labor costs, and profit.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I wasn't posting this to tell others what to post. I was posting it to show that when customers are loyal and appreciate your work--one customer said he appreciates how meticulous I am--that they don't mind paying an extra $50 and are even encouraging me to raise my prices. I only have about 7 taxidermists around this city that I know of, two focus on birds mainly. Only one does the quality of work I do and he's only been here for two years. He's moving back north where he says he can charge $800 for a deer and still not be considered high. He and I have a good relationship and I've told him if he wants to stay here it will take at least 3 years to build up a clientel. He just couldn't wait that long. This is my off season and I got two hogs ($800 each) and a half life sheep ($1800) I'm finishing up this week for the same customer. That same guy brought me a half life pig ($2000) last week and a deer ($650) this week. My area is very depressed economically because at least half my customers worked in the oil fields and were out of work for a year, but many of them have take up other jobs like trucking and the others are very loyal. This post was more to encourage people to take advanced classes and that even if you don't think you'll get it back, you might find out that you will. Not everyone can charge $650 for a deer, $850 for a pig, $1000 for a bobcat, but I know many don't even think about raising their rates. The taxidermist who trained me charged the same price for deer ($350) for 30 years. When I asked him why he was retiring from it, he said because he couldn't make enough at it anymore. I asked him if he had tried raising his prices and he said people wouldn't pay more than $350 for a deer or $450 for a pig. He retired only 10 years ago. When he retired, I was already getting $450 for a deer. He just talked himself out of business.

8. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

Around our area they think there getting raped over 300 dollars.But they will pay 2000 dollars for a hunt ,and not blink a eye.

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Do you live in northeast Tennessee?!!! Several around here only charge $300.00 because they want to "out compete" their competitors. I wouldn't want this type of clientele they are serving if I were doing to commercially. They wouldn't pay the $2000 either for the hunt. They would poach it off private land (I have caught a couple myself on my property)

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I pay them. I need the practice.

11. zorro

zorro New Member

This business is more about YOU than what you charge. You have to be able to sell yourself.

12. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

This the same argument that 's been going on for 10 years. The guy's in the high priced area's . don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. About those of us that live in the rural area's . In my area around the city's is $400.

13. livbucks

I suppose that one could target the people with money and ignore the people who pinch the pennies. That's a novel business plan right there.

I wonder if new cars cost less in rural areas? I drove through a small rural town a week ago and there was a Chevy dealer beside the road. Had a whole line of new trucks sitting there. Some were over 60K. There's gold in them thar hills.

14. capnmike

capnmike New Member

This discussion has been going on for a lot longer than 10 years...

15. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

I am $200 more than the locals. Most of the ones who come in and gawk at the price walk out and call me a few days later. My repeat customers dont even ask how much until they come to pick up their deer.

16. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

They don't sign an invoice with the price on it. And give you 1/2 down ????

17. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Ok Greg If there's " gold in them thar hills " Why hasn't Hilton Hotels built a 5 story resort in Spencer , Indiana ????????

18. livbucks

Because the zoning laws limit the construction to a 3 story maximum?

19. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

All I meant was that return customers dont ask and complain or tell me the guy down the road is $300.

20. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Some get it, those that don't .....

Some get it, those that don't - never will.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]