1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making the change to $650.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Beginners in this business , There are some very good lessons to be learned in this thread !!!!

2. Yes, do not Repeat DO NOT listen to any taxidermist how to run your own business ! If you should go to work for one just pretend to listen. Because we are all just a bunch of know it alls . Just that some of them don't know it, and the rest embrace to a degree that is embarrassing.
    If anyone thinks I being specific, I rest my case !

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I think one of the biggest lessons to be learned here is that as taxidermist we are all full of $#@!.

The guy who charges $1000 uses the same excuses to not charge $1200, as the guy who charges $800 does to not charge a $1000, as does the guy who charges $600 does to not charge $800, but each former, condemns each latter....for using that same excuse!

Fact is, it is not even about the money or we wouldn't be taxidermist! A college education will take you a hell of a lot farther a hell of a lot faster! And in reality...a deer shoulder mount for what it is, and what it takes to get there, should really be worth "THOUSANDS" of dollars. At least as much as a hunt, but that is never going to happen, so suck it up, be as good as you can be, and get as much as you can get, and tell every one else to suck it!

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

You suck it.

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Greg you crack me up. When you whallop them with that big old board, do they even know theres a big spike sticking through the end of it?

Jean, lobster and anything go good together, my friend.

6. livbucks

Ron started it. He's mean to George.

7. Dang it Bill dont engurage him, jgheees he is bad enough as is. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bill you are wrong lobster doent go good with sharing.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Good point...although I wish someone would share it with me now.

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

There is something to be said about enjoying what you do for a living; just make sure you charge enough to make a living. If you are doing taxidermy and are on food stamps and welfare you are not making a living!

I don't know about the second statement about having a college education these days. Many people graduating from college are under employed due to outsourcing their jobs.

10. Ron B

Alabama
    Your probably right!! :-\

11. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Taxidermy is a life long addiction. If you do it long enough to throw away your first mount, you are stuck for life. Enjoy, and don't chase the money (you may never catch up to it).

12. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I think it's funny how the taxinet bromance can make any topic go 14 pages. You guys are too cute!

13. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    My perspective on pricing is a bit different than most. You could say it is similar to equity markets. The price that I quote today may be different than the price I quote tomorrow depending on market variables. If I have a high volume of product coming in and I haven't finished last years mounts the the price goes up. If I am quoting prices over the phone and don't have a back log then the price goes down. If I am swamped and someone calls for a price on something that I really would rather not deal with the price goes up with an explanation, and in some cases a referral to a fellow taxidermist that I know will do a good job. My system also takes in the time of day, the day of the week, and my overall attitude. I have been in business long enough that I dictate the price ( within reason) and the days that I want to work. In my market there are always cheaper alternatives, but there are also those that are willing to pay for quality. My prices are dependent on daily market variables just like the rest of the business world. For an example just consider fuel prices and the fluctuations that they incur. I quote my clients a fair price for the requested job on the day that they call. The price a week later may be different depending on market conditions. If you don't agree just look at the market fluctuations that have happened lately. It's pretty hard to put a price on the value of a deer head mount when the price of Gold, Real estate, Caterpillar stock, google stock, Microsoft stock, etc are on a roller coaster ride every day.

14. livbucks

Is Bed-Bath & Beyond your favorite store by any chance?

15. Ron B

Alabama
    We have a pricing winner!!!!!!

I even warn people on the web site about my.... "mood"!!! :mad: If your "feeling lucky punk".............then call me about mounting your ^&&^% coyote! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I do get forced to go with my wife, but I bet I know which trio meets there most!

17. livbucks

You used the word "cute" in context, and the word "bromance". That in itself makes me wonder about you. Tell ya what....we will get you a gift card for BB&B. Howz that?