1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making the change to $650.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Aug 8, 2015.

1. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Sometimes You have know the whole story to make sense of it.

A friend of mine asked what I got for a turkey mount, I told him $650, he laughed and said " I charge $1000". I asked how many he took in last year, he said " well, none last year".

Everyone's situation is different, and what some consider making a good living, the next guy may consider poverty wages.

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

WOW Greg Livbucks , You can't really say that and show how stupid you are !!!! Reeeeeeaaalllly !!!!

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Exactly Davehyer a 100 % of nothing .... Is well ... Let's see .... UUMMM AAAAA Nothing ????????

4. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I was being humorous. This topic is worn out with no solution in sight. But have at it.

5. KevinM What language is that on your website ?

6. livbucks

That's square talk right there.

7. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I know i guy in the Texas hill country that went to $750, on deer and $850 on exotics, last year, in an effort to try and reduce his work load, and it never slowed down.

Im at $695 on deer and $750 on exotics myself. I get all i want. ;)

8. Same discussion has been going on for 30 plus years, Charge what you want. Justify it how ever you want , Just try to be honest with yourself wether its worth the sacrafices or not.

9. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odomstaxidermy likes this.
  10. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Nice Kerby!

11. livbucks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

No doubt Dave. There is definitely a PRICE POINT that will put you out of business. That price point can change depending on Geography. People always throw out car prices as an argument, and conveniently forget housing, rent, fuel and all the other things that ARE NOT constants around the nation.

13. livbucks

I guess my attempt at humor didn't go over well.

I think the key is getting the customer to place a higher value on it than they do right now. What kind of clientele you are targeting can make that easy or hard.

14. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I liked it Greg.

Did you get the smackdown? ;D

15. livbucks

Yes, and I accept my punishment. I forgot this isnt Current Events.

Mea Culpa..........Mea Culpa.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

There aren't as many taxidermists in my area as some of you have. There are maybe 10 or so. Many do pick up and delivery. I do not. Many are $200 less than I am. I do try to keep a 6 month turn around, but don't always make it. Many around me have a year turn around. There are many factors to consider. Where I live houses range from $200k to $600k. There are a lot at both ends, but the average is probably around $300k. There are a lot of people out of work here because of oil and ag (drought). I was just feeling good about the fact that I asked 10 of my clients if raising prices to a pretty high amount (an amount that I probably wouldn't pay) would matter to them and every one of them said I should raise the prices because they like my work and how meticulous I am. You gotta love it when customers are that loyal and supportive. I also do think the training I got from Rick Carter and Bill Yox factor into it, not only by raising my levels, but by giving me confidence enough to raise my prices higher than I thought possible.

17. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So Jim.............

**People always throw out car prices as an argument, and conveniently forget housing, rent, fuel and all the other things that ARE NOT constants around the nation**

So the guy that is charging $300 there which is half of $600 out here IS NOT paying half for gas, housing, or rent.

I'm at $600 for a deer head ..... on the low end in my area. The guy in town is at $800. The price of gas may be ten cents higher out here in Arizona...... but your doctor, electrician, plumber prices are close to the same.

Consumer Price Index (CPI) takes into consideration many items ...... not just real estate and housing.

People pay the higher prices ..... not because they make more money ..... not because what their house cost .... because the taxidermists DECIDE what to charge. Others who charge a low rate and complain that they can't get the higher prices are: 1) letting their customers decide what the price is (BAD BUSINESS) 2) don't understand basic business principles 3) are afraid to try ...... and 4) have never done it.

I was on business in the early 1990's in Daytona Beach, FL and looked up 2 taxidermist that were a few miles apart. Went to their shops and introduced myself and asked what they charged for a deer head ($150). They both had 5-6 freezers full of work. They were 2-3 years behind and bitched about not making money. I asked them why don't they just raise their prices? And they both said that if they did, then the other would get their business.

And there it is .........................

There are way too many people on this site that said they increased their prices and their volume has increased. They weren't afraid.

Taxidermists should raise their prices, take in less work ...... and ..... make more money ..... and have more free time.

Kerby...

18. livbucks

And consequently, if they take in less work, and make more money, there is also room for more taxidermists, who can also be working less, and making more!

Underpricing is bad for the whole industry, period.

19. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Whoomp, There it is!

20. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I know this is a little off topic but I met another taxidermist in my area the other day and discussed methods a little. Apparently he dry preserves with no adhesive and was unaware there is any adhesive to use with dry preservative. I just went along with it and said I didn't like all the pins to try to fight drumming or the shrinkage that goes along with that method but it is still possible to make a nice mount with it. He says "what is drumming".....I kinda changed the subject. He gets $400 for a shoulder mount.