1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making the change to $650.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Okay....I'm going to chime in "AGAIN" on this subject,......BUT THIS IS THE LAST TIME!! :mad: And mostly because I can't turn on the tv cause if I hear the name Trump again I'm going puke, and my wife is out of the country so there wont be any of that....

When share holders have a meeting they do not ask the CEO: "What do we charge for a widget"....they ask: "How much did we MAKE on widgets"! When the Tax Man cometh......he does not ask what you charge for a deer head.....he ask..... What did you "MAKE"!!!! There are only two numbers that matter in this game; How much money you MADE...............and how many hours it took to make it!

The point being, price is not always an indicator of profit! If taxidermist "A" mounts a $800 deer in 12 hours and taxidermist "B" mounts a $400 deer in 6 hours......with all else being equal.............THEY ARE BOTH MAKING THE SAME MONEY!!!! Taxidermist "A" can only beat taxidermist "B" financially by reducing his time! You hear a lot on here about raising your prices....you never here anything about reducing your time!

I once worked at a shop that was charging more for a deer head 25 years ago than I am charging now! This was in an expensive, competitive area out west, and there was tremendous overhead! That shop is gone.....I'm still doing taxidermy! What I am saying is there is so much more to business than a price tag! I could put a $2500 price tag on my deer mounts and crow about it, but guess what.....I would NOT be making a living at taxidermy! Just reality!

And another fact of life is there are some people that can just get the paying high end clients regardless of the type of business! Its just a gift and we don't all have it! My barber charges 8 bucks! There are barbers who charge THOUSANDS!!!! Do you think they think my barber is stupid....you bet, but I am here to tell you, he goes to 10 bucks......... I'm cutting my own hair! :-\

2. Ron B

Alabama
    And that very attitude my good fellow......is what made Henry Ford one of the richest men in history!!!

I have said it before.....the guy who can figure out how to assembly line $200 deer heads and do it in 48 hours, will be the richest taxidermist in history! Its open for one of you genius business men!! But I want some credit for the idea! :mad: And maybe a little commish!! :-*

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I dont know about any of you but I want to be the $800 deer in 12 hour guy. Why? Because I am POSITIVE that the $400 deer in 6 hour guy is busting his balls and the 12 hour guy is actually enjoying his work, and probably f#@&ing off a good bit too.

PLUS the FACT that the 12 hour guy is making much more profit per hour. You add numbers like you find elk my good man......NOT! The 6 hour guy buys DOUBLE the materials to gross the same dollars. That aint good....aint good.

I bet the $400 in 6 hour guys wife left him for the 12 hour guy. I wonder why Mrs B is out of the country? Hmmmmmm??????

4. Ron B

Alabama
    Nope....the $800 dollar guy is having to deal with really annoying and demanding pricks that think he owes them something because they exist! One freaken hair out of place and their bitchin! Then one day one of them is going to pull out a light and shine it up the deers nose and if they can't see blood pulsing up to its eye orbits they are going to ask WTF?......and not in a nice way either!

5. livbucks

The caveat being can the $800 guy get any customers where he is? I guess that is his problem to figure out.

6. Ron B

Alabama
    She is touring Europe on the money she saved buying receipts from the cheapest printer she could find!!! 8) 8) :p :p

7. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Ron,............

$800 guy - $150 materials = $650 divided by 12 hrs. = $54.16/hr.

$$400 guy - $150 materials = $250 divided by 6 hrs = $41.66/hr.

:)

Kerby...

8. Ron B

Alabama
    Listen cheap ass printer.....pick up on the fact that I said "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL"!! I don't personally know these guys, but I know they are both losers or they wouldn't be taxidermist!! Sheeesh!! Maybe one home tans the other ships and commercial tans...who knows! Maybe one saves over $3000 dollars a year, like me, by no longer using large monopolizing supply houses!! Christ!!! What am I....my brothers book keeper! ::) ::) ::) ::)

9. Ron B

Alabama
    Re: Ron,............

$800 guy - $150 materials = $650 divided by "8" hours =KICKS ASS!!!!!!

10. livbucks

LOL.....printers are famous for cutting each other's throats.....but I'm raising your price so I can keep Mrs. B at home yelling at your yard ape kids where she belongs.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

$650 regular, $800 simple wall ped...... come at me bro!

12. Ron B

Alabama
    In the middle....I like it! Now if you are using "Livebucks Cheap @$$ Printing inc" and can keep annoying customers out of your shop.....you are making a killing!

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Oh my God did you nail that one. I remember standing behind the counter daily listening to those morons. Cured me of ever wanting a "big time" studio. I don't know how the owner kept his mouth shut but he did. He was not the best taxidermist by any standard but he could SELL.

Sure do. I guarantee you I don't work like that now haha. Just under cheap SKULLS on the list of PIA's are HUNTING LEASES...it has become damn near impossible to have anywhere to hunt other than public ground here, and in OH that's not much of any quality. So much property is sucked up by a few guys that many have just given up trying to hunt. At least in my area.

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

What cracks me up is that some people on this thread and others like it say that they can't charge what I charge (which is okay) but that I can only charge it because I'm part time and part timers can afford to charge more. Then in the same thread some people say that part timers are the ones who charge too little because they don't need the money. So to recap, part timers are the ones charging too much and too little. It's always the fault of the part timers. Lol.

15. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I'm a part timer and I charge in the middle ($525). What does that make me?
    Ralph

16. PA

PA Well-Known Member

It depends if you are part time or full time!

These types of threads are entertaining as people have their own opinions and think the other guys are just plain wrong - which obviously they are if they don't agree with what I say.

How hard one works and the efficiency is an unbelievable factor. As one gets older, the impetus is not there as much as it was in the days with lots of wild oats to sew. I can certainly understand why employers are hesitant to hire a laid off 55 year old when you can hire a 25 year old who is out to prove themselves to the world. Even if I could work as hard as I did when I was 25, I just don't want to anymore.

I really like the line:
    There are barbers who charge THOUSANDS!!!! Do you think they think my barber is stupid....you bet, but I am here to tell you, he goes to 10 bucks......... I'm cutting my own hair!

I was raised by parents that grew up in the great depression and transmitted their beliefs which I fully embrace. In other words, I am cheap with a capital C. I have never been to a barber in my life - I have been cutting my own hair since I was in highschool. The first suit I ever wore was one I purchased for my son's wedding a couple years ago at a thrift shop. It fit me like a glove and cost $10.70. If I would have been 4 miles west in a different Goodwill, it would have been only $10.60. This county has an extra 1 percent tax and it chaffs me that I had to pay the extra 10 cents.

I may just have to take up barbering if I can charge thousands. I do know Jerome Bettis used to fly his personal barber to wherever they were playing football for a trim. He probably has a Lamborghini's that he bought in Louisiana.

17. Lets add some salt to the pot and stirr stirr some more 1

I don't think its as mush about the price of one single deer head being it 200/800 . The real issue is the bottom line total at the end of the year.
    50 or 60 deer at 600 or 800 ain't hitting on chit. It dang sure wont pay my bills. Broad hunter it does matter if your part time or not . you got noting to gamble on with taxidermy. Your check is going to be there Friday all you got to do is just show up for work to get it. A man paying his house , feeding himself with taxidermy does not have the luxury of gambling with his business. Sure those price have worked for some but its also put some out to and thats a fact.
    I for one one will not gamble my junk,stuff,toys, and life on a work less make more idea. I cant gamble that 100 plus deer is walking through the door at 800, but I do know what will walk in at 400. Maybe my prices does make me work harder than I have to in my business, but I am getting to play hard to for the very same reason.
    How can yall compare 60 x 650=39,000.00. vs 200 x 400=80,000.00. Yes you made more profit off each deer. But I kicked your ass with the bottom line at the end of the year. Now if you guys can tell me you are doing 100 plus deer heads @ 800.00 then I need to sit down and give this some serious thought.

18. Ron B

Alabama
    PA....you are my hero!!

19. Ron B

Alabama
    The Sultan of Brunei pays an average of $31000 for a haircut from his British Barber who he fly's in for the job!! I bet his barber hates part-timers, and those "$20000 guys" down the street!! "Yeah....you can take it to one of the $20000 guys if you want......but its not going to last"! *&&^^ dam price shoppers!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wonder if its too late to change professions? :-\

20. Buck fever I just need some clarification, Are you saying you do not have 2 plus times materials and labor to get to your bottom line ?

Not sure why a person cant put together an $800 Deer or antelope in 8 hours either. Jut because a guy is willing to pay more money Why would there be an assumption he is Pushy prick. How would that be any different than the guy who is spending more than he can afford at $300 ?
    Charge what ever you want but some of these arguments / reason are out there !!!!