1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making the change to $650.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I don't think anybody said "every high end customer" is a prick but I can tell you this: The hardest people I have ever had to get money out of were the wealthy ones....period! They are not crooks trying to rip you off....they just don't think like regular folks! Money is not an issue to them so they think it is not to you either! They just simply pay you when it convenient for them!

I'm serious....I have some customers whom if I named their product you would know instantly who they are. They are as nice as they can be, Kabillionaires....but I have catered to them, renting Uhaul trucks, loading and delivering their African chit, saving them THOUSANDS of dollars in shipping and they have never even offered to pay my ^&&*& gas!! :mad:

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you did that more than once you are a butthead.

But you are OUR butthead.

3. Ron B

Alabama
    I am like Charlie ^&^%ing Brown with the football!!! ::) :-\ :-\ :-\

4. There are only two types of people here those that drive 800,000.00 dollar tractors and those than own the 800,000.00 tractor.
    The ones that own the the tractor are the slowest to pay there taxidermy bill. EVERY TIME ! Those that are driving there tractors are pulling into my parking lot before I can hang the phone up !

DONT tease us RONB tell tell, names boy give us names !

Fruit loops on a Saturday morning watching bugs bunny !!
    then the occasional soft fried eggs, mixed in with grits and bacon. mmmm that warn yellow yolk in our gritts is why we are proud of the Rebel flag. ;D ;D

5. Buck fever that is such a bunch of crap to generalize your client experience to every other person in the wealthy group.

Ron B who in business would get burned multiple times for the same thing IE delivery and set up. You didnt work that out ahead of time and its THEIR fault.

We have had very different experiences with clients, Mine has been very positive and led to great contacts.

6. I didnt friend! I meant just what i said! Tractor owners vs drivers.
    But since you thought it was deeper , you do know all mallard ducks looks just alike and all quack the the same sound.

7. Ron B

Alabama
    Ole Ron B that's who.....like I said....I'm a sucker! And to be honest I would still rather deliver for free than spend days crating! I did not demand anything and may well have turned the money down if offered, but not one of my wealthier clients has ever offered!! Now the guy who "drives" the tractor......they always seem willing to pay for anything extra! Just a different thought process!

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If I have to crate and mail, or deliver, I charge. Why give something away for free?

Anyone every try just oreos and milk for breakfast in a bowl? For hot cereals I like oatmeal with brown sugar and pecans, but also like cream of wheat or chocolate malt-0-meal.

9. livbucks

I dont eat any cereal. Just bacon or sausage with dippy eggs and gluten free toast.

Wheat is horrible on my system. I'm hyper-allergenic to it.

10. you bunch of yankees get some gritts and enjoy life, jheese ;D ;D ;D ;D

11. Ron B

Alabama
    I had grits this morning!

12. livbucks

I had grits in the bathroom. Wait......what do you rebels call grits?

13. RonB

RonB Member

Try taking some Kaopectate :)

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

In my experience, the best way to treat a wealthy customer...is to treat him like a hunter who is a customer, period. Just like the customer who comes in every other week to pay a little something on his bill. If I need to do extra, I just charge if I need to. A wealthy customer wont treat you like a professional until you do. Show me a guy that a taxidermist labels as wealthy because of what he drives in with, and Ill show you a guy who is tired of getting dinged for extra because hes wealthy.

Oh by the way, wealthy and poor guys all know that cocoa crispies and milk just makes brown milk, you gotta slip some chocolate syrup in there and enjoy life!

15. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

My experience with wealthy customers is that the majority are the cheapest of all my customers. They always want some kind of "deal" or " I will pay you cash if you don't charge me sales tax, always something.

Those are the guys that want you to know they are loaded, so maybe they are just as_holes by nature and happen to be rich. Who knows how many of my customers are wealthy and I just don't know it.

16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Yep! That's about right. Dealt with them in my previous service business. How do you think they got rich or keep the money? By being tight wads!

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

99% of my 'rich' customers are outstanding! I've had a few bad apples amongst all classes & I simply deny their work in s very nice way the next go around.

18. capnmike

capnmike New Member

Those guys that act rich but always want a deal are the guys that like people to think they are rich but are in debt over their head. You can usually spot them pretty easy. There is a non politically correct term for them.

19. livbucks

Looks are deceiving. I've met wealthy people that look like hobos and broke asses that wear silk suits. I treat 'em all the same.....except Ron.

20. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You definitely have to know your customers. I have some customers that always like to think they are getting a deal. I will often say things like I'll try to make sure I get yours done quick for you because I know you like special attention, or when they pick it up I point out some features that not every taxidermist includes. Other customers always want you to talk about what a great hunter they must be because they are always bringing you so many good specimen and how they sure are one of your top customers. Every customer gets asked to describe the hunt and every customer gets the time they need to explain the details of the hunt. You have to read the person and make them feel special. That's as much a part of them coming back as the quality of work you do. I'm not saying to play them, but you have to know what type of person they are and take that into consideration. Some people like to be flattered, but others just want to know what you think of their trophy or they just want to tell you about the hunt because it was so exciting. I have one client who spends over $100k a year on hunting. Every time he comes in, which is at least once a month to drop off 2-3 animals, I tell him he brings me more animals than anyone else and it lights him up. You have to know how to sell your skills, but you also have to know the person and what they want.