1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to get started?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Shannonanigans, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Shannonanigans

Shannonanigans New Member

So I'm in California and I'm looking to get into taxidermy. I've never done it before and I know we have a bunch of weird rules about stuff over here, so I'm trying to find someone who can help clarify for me which types of animals are legal for me to obtain and begin practicing taxidermy on in California. Any advice? I've been thinking about starting off with mice or other rodents because I see that many people just get rodents that are used for feeding reptiles and such, and I've even seen many for sale as art, but again, not sure about what all is legal here. Please help!

2. hit the search button and type in getting started and read read read lots of info
    Have fun.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,56579.msg347764.html#msg347764

3. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Check and see if there is a taxidermist association in your state if so join it

4. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

And usually anything that can be legally hunted or caught typically is legal.

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

6. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Yes! if everything seems new and overwhelming, taking a day class is probably your best bet.

7. cut your losses now and choose a different hobby,,,lol you have no idea of the road your about to travel..

8. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

LMAO!!!!

9. Shannonanigans

Thanks for the advice, guys! I recently went dove hunting and was thinking of trying to do something with an Asian dove I got. I don't know if birds are typically good to start off with, but I figure it's worth a shot!

10. Shannonanigans

I have had a lot of different hobbies, and don't worry, the ones I dove into without having any idea of the road I was about to travel are the ones that have always worked out best for me. :)