1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy quality garment tanned furs

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by littlewolfpaw, Aug 17, 2015.

1. I was told by a gentlemen today that he believed it possible to split lips and turn ears on a garment tanned fur. I've always believed this to be a green skin step and not possible afterwards with garment tans even after rehydration.
    Can someone shed light on this?

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I have sent unturned ears to the tannery because they were so freezer burnt I could not turn them. They turned just fine after they were tanned. Is it possible yes. Is it optimal no.
    Ralph

3. NightsGem

NightsGem New Member

I've done it all the time on tanned faces that I reshape on on wallhangers because I have to thin the lips down most of the time. It's very much so possible, but it's hard to do, and takes a bit of practice.

4. Its possible but it as also risky too, you have to be pretty skilled and patient to turn a garment tanned animal into something mountable for taxidermy. Problem is with garment tanned stuff that even if they have the lips for example, its so little of it that its not enough to work with for taxidermy. As of ears they can be turned but there is always the possibility that when you start to turn them they slip for whatever reason which has happened to me on a few hides I did that on. Its basically a guessing game on which animal is going to work and which one will not.

Otherwise wouldn't really personally recommend using garment tanned animals for taxidermy since 80% of the time, they are missing something that makes them unmountable anyways from my experiences. Won't deny though some people have made them work and had great results with it though!