1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Largemouth Bass Skin mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by deeter73, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Hey all, just finished this guy up few days ago. Tell me what you think. Critiques and opinions always more than welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Hard to tell anatomy but the fish looks good from what I can see, BUT the placement on the driftwood I think is way off,, I would not have the fish hanging off the back end of the base,, unless your placing another fish in the front of him, just a thought,

3. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Looks like he is going after a Worm way on the left hand side . I am guessing that is why the fish is off to the right side . 8)

4. Thanks for comments Michaelj, the customer wanted it tracking down a worm which is off to left side of pic hanging of the driftwood. That's pretty much the reason I set the bass off the driftwood like that. I know the picture is kind of small and hard to see, I still haven't got the hang of the resizing yet. Here's another pic of just the bass, hopefully comes out a bit better.

Attached Files:

5. You beat me to it Edgewater! Exactly! ;)

6. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Early Bird gets the worm ,,, OR in this case a Fish gets the worm LOL

7. Yep! ;)

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

First off, let me say its a nice fish! Great job.

I do think however that you used a commercial form. Which is meant for, and designed for an open mouth bass. Your distance between the bottom of the fish and the top of the fish where the throat latch meets the scales is too deep/tall. It just looks super deep and much too heavy. Esp for a closed mouth fish in that range. (there are exceptions of course)

When bass close their mouths, fish in general actually are pretty well smooth and start small and get larger. Hydrodynamics and what not. If you look at your fish, it looks like you have the bottom jaw brought up too high, in order to keep that top profile looking good, and head not drooping. that brings everything out of alignment.

Look at your gill flap end, or "ear" . You can see if you draw a line off of it, instead of running near dead center mass (which most closed mouth bass should and do) it goes catycorner down the side. This is a dead give away that your head is cranked too high. It should run flush/straight from back of eye, to ear, to lateral line right above that collar bone joint.

This is a common mistake when people either carve a body for an open mouth fish, but mount it closed, or try closing the mouth on a commercial body . It can be done, but you need to cut and reposition the throat latch area, and also rasp and bring down the top profile of the body as well.

9. Jimmy Lawrence

here, maybe this will show you what I mean. This fish is slight open mouth. So the line is still even a bit canted or high. When its closed , its a pretty continuous line. The barring from behind the back corner of the eye runs onto the ear, and then blends nearly flawlessly into the barring on the sides once that flap is closed on a closed mouth fish. Pointing straight back towards the tail.

Kenneth Bauman showed me this in some really good reference of a closed mouth fish, but It wasn't my picture so I couldn't post that particular image.

I hope this helps. great job though, and keep it up.

Attached Files:

10. Jimmy Lawrence

here's a fish in a tank off my cellphone in bass pro.... it shows it better. I hope im making sense .

Attached Files:

11. Makes a nice change to see a LMB mount with closed mouth. Im not qualified to critique it, but I like the look , would be cool to see more like that . ;)

12. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Jimmy,
    Great post with the reference pictures....

13. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

That head isn't as bad as you guys think it is, almost to technical. The real problem that I see is on the 13th scale row. There you will see a couple of scales that... nah, just kidding! Nice fish

14. Thanks for the comment and suggestions guys, this is the reason I ask for opinions/critiques because often people see things you don't. Ken and Jimmy, i see what your saying and never really noticed where "that line falls". I agree it might be a bit bottom heavy at the throat latch. I carved my own body for this fish, actually always carve my own bodies. I will pay closer attention to that detail on my next fish. Honestly thou, other than the taxi guru's on here, I think a customer would be hard pressed to notice that. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying. As for MT'S comment, I thought the 12th scale row was the one with the...oh nevermind! hahaha 8) I do have another pic of an open mouth large mouth I did pretty much the same time as this one, let me find and post it and you can tell me what you think of it. Thanks again guys, comment always welcome and appreciated!

Attached Files:

15. ..and another pic of it

Attached Files:

16. Jimmy Lawrence

The reason i went into such depth in my reply or critique is because I think you have serious talent . Thats also why I backed up all of my opinions or words with reference of live fish. To illustrate what I was saying and mean, so that you, and everyone else can see it . I've done it my self. And one of my best friends has a painting tutorial on here where he did the same thing, and made the same mistakes.

You are carving, which puts you way ahead of many people. Its rewarding when you can carve a nice body. Something I struggle with a lot.

I hope you take what I said as a learning post, and not a put down. As it was meant to help, and not hurt you, or the work posted in any way. And maybe you will look at that next time, and see things in that way.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more fish.

And btw, no customer is gonna know , im 99% sure of that too, same as you are.

and that 12, and 13th row will get you every time.

17. Thank you for the kind words Jimmy and in no way what so ever did I take any of your advise as a put down nor hurt my pride. Quite the opposite actually, honoured you took the time to go into such great detail to help a fellow taxidermist out! The main reason I ask for critiques is exactly for that reason, I'm always looking to get better even if its the slightest thing. I'm truly grateful you went into such depth and detail with what you were trying to show I will definitely keep it in mind on all my future fish! Next one in line is a piranha, never done one of them before but looking through the archives, doesn't seem like to much or a hassle...I hope! Thanks again Jimmy, really do appreciate any advise/opinions! 8) Btw, your thoughts on the open mouth bass I posted next?

18. Jimmy Lawrence

Your fin junctions on both fish, especially the tail area needs a better, smoother transition. And the barring on your face on the open mouth fish seems a little off to me placement wise .

But I think they are both nice. I like the softness of the paint work on the open mouth fish. I'd hang both of them in my house.

Jimmy

19. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I think the eye is to red!

20. Nothing like the real thing.