1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair slippage/ flocking question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Logan Loeffelholz, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Ive got a flehmen deer that I mounted up that's got some slippage about the size of a 50 cent piece just above the lip line about 4 inches back from the tip of the nose. I tried using flocking to help blend it out but its just not turning out the way id like. Im gonna try another layer of flocking to see if that helps. When I apply the flocking im just simply putting the glue on and sprinkling it over the top and lightly pressing it in. Im assuming that's the correct way of applying it. Maybe its in to long of hair to look realistic after its blended. Any pointers or tips on solving my dilemma?? Or possible other fixes. When I mounted it I thought if I cut out and sewed it back up it would pucker up being that close to the lip and such a big circle. I thought the flocking would have taken care of it better. Maybe I should have.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Patch it in with spare cape of same color

3. Messed with it again tonight for about an hour. Used some thicker glue and added another layer which really made it puff up and look so much better. Gonna airbrush and blend tomorrow and see how it looks.

4. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Did you take any take any pictures?

5. redog76

redog76 New Member

how'd it work out? i'm interested now...

6. It did work pretty good but no I didn't take any pictures of it. The spot wasn't completely invisible, but it covered the bald spell very well and turned out good. More importantly the customer loved it. I used pro 1 for the glue instead of the flocking glue it came with which was more of a runny glue. Pro 1 is a lot thicker and it seemed to help more. And I used 3 layers of flocking total. The first two with the flocking glue and the third with pro 1 and it built up nice to the thickness I needed. Then blended the colors needed. First time I tried it. Would it be my first choice again, probably not, but I saw it done and wanted to give it a shot and this deer was the perfect candidate for it.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

it will never look good flocking is not hair, not even close. o what Jersey Jay said and cut it out and replace with a patch from another cape, works every time.