1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pantig the nose an lips of Deer Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by John, Aug 20, 2015.

1. John

John Member

Iowa
    have a question when I went to school at Reinharts school & taxidermy they told us to Just paint the lips Black as well as the nose could any 1 please tell me the right color to paint the lips of a deer
    thanks
    John

2. check your referance photos, !!!! the lips are more of a grey color,, I paint mine with oil paints and a small artist brish,,, first I paint on some flesh then while it's wet I use black to blend the color to grey leaving some flesh like tones in the lip line, The nose, if no repair work has been done I don't paint it at all,, just use some flesh at the very bottom where it meets the lip, and then clear satin finish Noses are not black

3. John

John Member

Iowa
    thank you for the info

4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

"Don't paint at all" wow ! Ask Rick Carter or Bill Yox if they don't paint them lol. I use a flesh and Yox nose pad gray .look at your reference .

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't paint the lip line because I tuck them hair to hair and with proper thinning and good hide paste, they never pull out. The exposed lip in the front, I paint similar to the nose.

6. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Yox nose pad grey first and some blending Brown after flesh. Maybe a drop of black to the blending brown.

7. #4 on the greyscale.

8. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Burnt umber followed by paynes gray for basic color, then tweak as you go.

9. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

DVD270

10. jk

jk Active Member

I have not viewed Ricks video but have seen him do a seminar. If it is 1/2 as thorough as his seminar it will be money well spent. Rick is a great teacher. The lips should be tucked, maybe 3/4" showing at most in the front and from my experience the less black you use in painting just about anything the more lifelike it will look. I have been told that true black does not exist in nature. Not sure about that but I know it is not the color of a WT's lips or nose. Good luck

J

11. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

When it comes to mammals, take black paint and throw it as hard and far as you can into the bushes and don't go looking for it. LOL

12. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Great advice to follow Rick. Thanks for the input/advice.