1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy and your health.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Aug 20, 2015.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I don't want this to turn into a major over the top discussion, but I wanted viewpoints and opinions of others who have been there.

Today my doctor asked me for a list of ALL the chemicals and MSDS sheets of all the chemicals and products I have worked with over the years. I have been having neurological issues not limited to weird random seizures and she wants to investigate if anything I've come in contact with over the last 20 some years may be what is affecting me or has contributed to it.

Feel free to share stories. It would be most helpful.

2. Have had some neurological issues myself. My regular doc sent me to Mayo in Rochester for a full work up. Fortunately Mayo is only 50 miles from home. I was in and out of there for a week. Full body CAT scan and endless blood testing. Nerve testing. They were also interested in any taxidermy related chemicals. I do my own tanning so some of those chemicals could have been an issue. Also was tested for heavy metals. They didn't find anything. Have not had seizures though. It has not progressed since then so who know what caused it. Good luck!

Bruce

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Some years back I ended up with diastolic high blood pressure and it was suspected that the 2 part foam may have been the culprit. I have been wearing a respirator for a few years now and I seem to be getting better. Without a doubt I am sensitive to more chemicals. Years of use without thinking it's doing harm will catch up that's for sure.

4. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I was diagnosed with Addison's disease a year ago this month. He doesn't have a direct correlation, but I always wonder! It's an endocrine autoimmune disease that I will have the rest of my life. My adrenal glands shut down and will never work again. Very rare, which is why he also asked me what I did for a living. Kennedy and Glenn Beck have (had) it.

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've got to be an accident waiting to happen. I promise myself to wear a respirator, but half the time I don't. I am good at wearing gloves and providing ventilation. Laquer thinner, 2 part foam, apoxy sculpt, denatured alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, formalin, and phenol are all commonly used. Additionally, dust from foam, powered preservative, plaster and glue find its way into my system. Someday, I know I'll pay the price.

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I was talking with Mark McLain from RMI about chemicals and accidents. He said one individual had a party at his home and someone decided to make popcorn. The only oil they found was some Tanning oil. The popcorn was served and all the recipients ends up with the runs. Mark said I have no idea what the tanning oil was doing in the kitchen. That must have been some bad tasting popcorn. I guess when you have enough to drink you'll eat anything.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Tanning oil, eh! That'll give you a bad case of "supple butt"!

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I worked for DOW chemical for 15 years, where urethanes are made, I can 100% promise you that this stuff is extremely bad for you. The gas put off during the the reaction when mixing 2 part foam and the dust, from cutting and sanding, can cause some serious bad things. Not to mention hazards associated with the list of other chemicals that we use. Bondo, Formic, thinners and solvents, paints,all tanning chemicals. None of it is healthy. Precautions should always be a priority.
    Google the hazards for this stuff.

If your a taxidermist, like it or not, we work in the chemical industry.

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

I've been sniffing taxidermy chemicals and painting,fiberglass fumes for the last 50 years, no to mention using 8.lbs of apoxy sculp every 2 weeks, since it was made, with bare hands....guess i'm one of the lucky ones