1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pike tail needed

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by turkeyjim, Aug 23, 2015.

1. does anyone have a cast pike tail for a 38"er. rather not use Lake County I have one, too thick and looks more like a bass tail.

2. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

You might try a set of the Dennis Arp fins. They are decent. You would have to buy the complete set but the rest will get used eventually on other fish.

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I agree on the Arps fin packages. Leftovers will get used up eventually.

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jim,

I'm guessing the original tail is ratty or missing part of it? If so have you considered repairing it? If done correctly one can not tell once it's painted.

The way I do it is:

1. Place clear packing tape on the back of the entire tail to fill in the void. Trim to the original shape of the tail you want.

2. Use one of the apoxies (Magic Sculpt or Apoxie Sculpt) to fill in the void over the tape.

3. Model in the truncated rays (not just lines) with a modeling tool, pin etc. to match the surrounding tail. If the void(s) is really large you want to reinforce the back temporarily to keep it from warping before the apoxie sets up. (See pick below with tongue depressor)

4. Paint and you are done.

NP caudal fins are not as transparent as other species and once using bright yellow, gill red, and black the repair work is easy to hide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Use magic smooth instead of apoxie sculpt and it will dry transparent like the rest of the fin.

6. ive also done almost the same thing, using the clear tape and epo-grip fin magic also. it sets up in 5 minutes and cures hard enough to move on in 30 minutes or so

7. I'm going to try that Cecil thanks. That tail looks great. I
    ve tried building it with fin flex and just can't get the results I want

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Very nice work, Cecil.

9. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

X2 with Cecils process except I use Magic Smooth too like 3bears. I think it's stronger and grips the adjoining fin rays better and you can put in the same grooves as it dries..

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes more than one product that will work!

Nice all of us chimed in!

11. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Oh Cecil, I forgot to mention, that was a great repair you did.

12. Very nice repair!...Thank you for sharing the process...