1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just a thought or question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jk, Aug 24, 2015.

1. jk

jk Active Member

Am posting this here to get your some opinions. What is the need for a traveling taxidermist. I am 50 years old and will retire from my real job in about 5 years. I have over 20 years of running a part-time taxidermy business that handles all types of projects and have won Best All-Around at a state show. When I retire I plan to expand my business but I understand that takes time. Would there be a need for me to travel to a shop and spend 1-2 weeks catching guys up or helping with large projects. This is something I think I would really enjoy. My question is this, is there a need out there for this and would would be a fair price? Thanks
    J

2. AJH

AJH Member

I would think there would be a need, but every ones need might be at the same time (seasons). You might be stuck doing all the crap work, skinning fleshing, salting, etc. That might suck the "FUN" right out, fast. Good luck in your retirement.

3. jk

jk Active Member

AJ, I have thought about this as well and probably would not be available much in the fall. I want to get out in the field during this time and would have responsibilities running my own shop, with mount check in, skinning, fleshing etc. I see my availability more during the late winter and summer months. Thanks for weighing in on this.
    J

4. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    If you have 20 years running a part time business I would assume that you have enough clients to keep you going full time. We'll it won't actually be full time since you want to take the fall off. Start letting your clients know that you will be going full time soon that way word gets around and by the time u actually retire you can kiss that fall vacation goodby. Lol. Hell fall is the time the mounts come in if your in the field all fall well you may not get any work.

5. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I don't know any full time taxidermist that take the fall off lol

6. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

Since a lot of game is taken in during the fall, but is not mounted till much latter in the year, bears for example, I would think that there would be a huge opportunity to find what you are looking for. Good luck. DanL.

7. jk

jk Active Member

I must not be communicating very well. When I say I would take the fall off what I mean is that I would not be traveling to other taxidermy shops in the fall. That way I could man my own shop during this busy time and get out and hunt a little. Keep in mind that I do not want to retire from my real job so that I can work more hours than I currently am working. Just posted this topic to see if there is a market out there for an experienced taxidermist to travel to a few shops and work for them for 5-10 days in order to help them out. I do not want to be on the road away from home all the time but would schedule a week or two of work each month from January through July or so. I did this for another taxidermist a couple of years ago and it was a great experience for both of us. Working alone can get old some times. We worked side by side and I think we were able to get far more work done as a whole than we would have gotten done individually. the power of "the synergistic approach".

J

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

jk, I could blow roses up your ass, but let's be honest here. Most of us work alone because we have faith in our own methods and simply don't want to babysit others to have them do it your way. When the rubber meets the road, most of us - deep down- feel that way and having a nomad come into your shop wouldn't be such a great idea in fact. How would YOU feel if the roles were reversed?

9. jk

jk Active Member

George, I always appreciate your perspective, I respectfully don't always agree but I do appreciate it. I am like most and agree that my methods are better that is why I use them. However, my perspective is that I am working for you if I am in your shop. If you want me to make bases, sand down forms, prep capes or mount up pieces that is what I will do. You can fine tune any pieces that I do and my feelings will not be hurt or ask me to use a different method. The first thing I tell an owner when I walk into their shop is that I work for them and my only two goals are customer satisfaction and to make money for the owner. I realize that if I do this, there is a good chance I will be asked back. If not, I have burned a bridge and taken someone for a ride.
    J

10. gab

gab Active Member

lots of big shops could definitely use that service to keep production flowing without having to hire/layoff during slow/busy times.also keeps an overwhelmed small shop from falling hopelessly behind.will need rv so housing isn't an issue.

11. jk

jk Active Member

I have already thought about the RV issue. This would also be a great way to buy an RV with business funds. Thanks
    J

12. JK there are shops bring guys in for a month or so at a time. There are a lot of variables but with some skills and ability you can find a pretty good niche.