1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seriously considering putting in time/punch clock in the shop!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cecil, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Even though it's only me to keep me honest! :eek: My shop is in my home in my walk in basement and it's so easy to get distracted, stretch out my lunch break, take unscheduled breaks, not be in a hurry to get off the phone when someone calls -- stuff that would get me canned if I was working for someone else. There are days I feel I'm just spinning my wheels!

Maybe make myself stay in the shop until I get 8 or 9 hours on the time card?

Can anyone relate? Anybody ever consider it?

I see they are not very expensive on Ebay but don't think I need the biometric fingerprint model as there is no chance anyone will try and take my place!

Thoughts?

Been doing this for over 30 years and need fresh ideas to keep me motivated!

2. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Save yourself a lot of grief. Just fire yourself now and go on welfare. Half of the US is already doing it. Seriously Cecil, only you can discipline yourself. A time clock isn't going to help.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Welfare? Ain't gonna happen. Never even collected unemployment before I was self employed when I got laid off. Always found another job.

"Only you can disciple yourself?"

I can prove you wrong! ;D

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I just stopped. 8am - till ..... Our plate runneth over. I'm motivated mostly by fear of lawsuits. LOL

When I was into the Network Marketing jazz they stressed the conventions/seminars to fire you up. Maybe you need a state show.

Go browse new trucks, boats or motor homes..... Dream building ;)

5. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

I have a time clock in my shop. I have used it to REALLY find out, how long it takes me to do something. Punch the card, do what I need to do, whether it be mount a head, do a bird, and when that aspect is done, at my pace, go punch the clock. It will shock you. LOL.

6. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I used to be really bad about this, when I had all day to work. Five years of having babies/toddlers and only being able to work part time (3 hours a day) forced me to learn how to be VERY efficient with my time. I often say, oddly enough Ive got almost as much done on 15 hours a week as I did in 40, because it was easy to mess around and blow time back then. Art shouldnt be rushed, but there is a difference between taking time to do things right, and wasting time. Im now preparing to work full time this season, and I hopewith my new work ethic thatI will be able to accomplish ALOT vs. falling back into the time wasting trap. One thing that helps is to just set a goal for each day. If you accomplish that project early and are happy with that accomplishment, take the remainder of the day and do something for yourself. It isnt so much the hours logged but what you accomplish. But dont let the day end without finishing your goal. If I waste time and dont reach the goal, I will just have to finish it later that night after everyone else is in bed. I dont like doing that so it is a good deterrent to the temptation to get distracted. Down time feels so much better when it is earned, not snuck in while on the clock.

7. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

I'm glad you've never been on the "govt. take" Me either. What does disciple mean?? Maybe you should look in the mirror and scare yourself into not wasting time. Or is it just "burnout" raising it's ugly head again?? With me, it's just old age and running out of gas. Now get to work.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cecil, Shakespeare had an addage, "To thine own self be true." Broken down, that means "SO WHAT?" As Grumpa so eloquently put it, a clock ain't the answer. We all suffer burn out and they're usually in varying degrees. I don't know how many times the "Give a Ship" dial on my fun meter has broken as I didn't keep track of that either.

9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

There is one thing that gets me motivated. It's that nasty phone call that complains how long it's been even though they usually tack on a couple of months.

Still think I'm going to get the time clock. My hope is it will shame me into showing me how much time I'm wasting.

Got to go. Work is calling!

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Duplicate.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I shouldn't talk because I feel your pain my man! But, I think the answer is what Amy recommended. Planning and scheduling. I rarely meet my daily goals. But, by writing things down and coming up with daily goals at least I stay focused enough to finish some or most of my list. Also, for me I get a heck of a lot more done if I put in heavier hours. For years I've approached this working 6-8 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. But, for me I've found productivity spikes the longer I'm in my shop. So, I prefer doing the longer days to get things done. Of course everybody is different, but by scheduling daily goals it helps me get more done. Good luck!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I tend to think that writing down a schedule is just about the same thing as: "I'm going on a diet. Tomorrow." It will still come down to a "Give a ship" attitude. I once had a schedule that said the first thing I should do was jog a mile. Then it went to walk a mile. Now, it's more like "In your dreams". Self-discipline can't be scheduled. If I don't feel productive, the very best thing I can do is to stay out of the shop until it passes. If we worked for someone else, we'd be there and get the job done, but because we control our own destiny, we often take side trips. Side trips are a good thing. LOL

13. That's the very reason I'm such an advocate for shop away from home. When it was at home I could find more stupid reasons to do something else besides shop work. In my mind I allways was telling my self I'll make up for it tomorrow ,rareley did that happen .
    Now dont get me wrong I can goof off in the shop away from home as well, but its nothing like it use to be. I dont find myself outside yard working, building box stands, sitting under the shade tree watching the grass grow, In the house glued to a movie, or having to do Honey do's.
    Now my goof off consist of staring out a window at traffic, day dreaming about being at home glued to a movie, or watching the grass grow under my favorite tree :'( :'(. Which gets old, So I find my self working more than watching cars go by.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Too funny! ;D ;D ;D

15. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

George, the first things on both of our schedules these days is to be happy we woke up and then to take our third piss before getting dressed. And we don't need a list for that! Being self-employed at times can be one of the more challenging tests of one's self-motivation. Most of us working alone things can get old pretty quickly. You're absolutely correct that no tool such as a prioritizing daily list or a time clock is going to get the job done if you don't want to do it. Side trips are a good thing. You gotta get away from this stuff now and then. And a weekend here and there and/or any internet and phone access doesn't count! It's a bear to get back into the grind when you get back. But, you'll go nuts if you don't get away - moreso as you get older!

16. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Buckfever nailed it. I've done both, and I was always MUCH more productive working away from home. Also, I've found it helpful to schedule a day for administrative duties. Friday's are for ordering materials, calling customers, planning next week, catching up book keeping, ect. This helps me stay on task the other days with fewer distractions. When I worked as an employee, I consistently mounted two deer a day. Now it's a miracle. Avoiding distractions is key.

17. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have retired to half days in my old age. Noon to midnight. You work 40 hours a week? That reminds me of my first part time job.

18. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Apparently there is a glitch in the system according to Ken. Jim's name is listed as a response but the response is not here. Go to Jim's post list and it's there.

19. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Focus Grasshoppa, Focus!!!!!

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Grasshoppa? Hell I've been doing this too long to still be a grasshopper! ::) ;)