1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How long should it take to rot off Pronhorn horns??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BO-N-ARO, Sep 2, 2015.

1. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I capped four heads yesterday and after cutting the skull caps off placed them in a black plastic bag and hung them in the sun. How long should it take with temps getting into the 90's?
    Thanks in advance.

2. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

If they stay moist, not very long. Maybe a week

3. jk

jk Active Member

90 degrees, I would say 3-5 days maybe a week at the longest. After they pop off I would place the skull cap and horns in boiling water. Pull the horns out after a couple of minutes and fill inside with borax and let dry. Continue to boil skull plate until the meat falls off. Let both completely dry before reattaching .
    j

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Earliest for me was with in two days. Longest was two weeks. They were under different circumstances the other.

5. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I waited a month trying to rot then off. I went ahead and boiled them off.

6. zorro

zorro New Member

Put them in the microwave at 15 second intervals until you can pull them off. Use gloves and pay attention to what you are doing. I have done hundreds like this with no ill effects. Takes a minute or so.

15 seconds yank, 15 more seconds yank etc etc til they come off.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    15 min of STEAM does the trick. Don't allow the horn to touch the water.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

When you let them rot off, make sure they are in a bag to keep the moisture in so they don't just dry on.

9. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Well, after a couple weeks in a black plastic bag setting in the sun........ nothing! I think if like boarhunter67 suggested, if I would have put each set in a smaller bag, maybe with a wet rag, it may have worked better. I ended up setting them in a bucket of water and changed it out ever couple of days.... what a stink-un mess!! The two smaller sets came off after a couple of weeks and the larger two took an additional week. They did NOT come off easy. I carefully slid a modeling tool under the horn and on top of the cartilage and a day or two later they slid off.
    My shop is just now starting to smell better!!! :(

10. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Next time ,don't change the water out.That will actually slow the process.i use a pressure washer blasting up the bases- does wonders after you have let them soak a week or so.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hmmm. Boiling? Steaming? Microwaving? You guys probably boil bighorn heads to. You're pushing your luck. The "horns" are modified hair and WILL separate and tear. (Pick up some sheds some time.) Two cups of water in a sealed plastic bag for 3-4 days. Stnd on the skull an twist the horn as you pull up. If the horn doesn't twist, insert a scalpel blade under the edge and cut the connecting hair and tissue. Retry. Twist harder. If they fail to budge, cut them off, hollow from the inside and use a form with the premade cores.