1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

meat in small bird wings

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fox hunter, Sep 6, 2015.

1. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

i know i dont post much but im on here most days reading and learnt a hell of a lot from the posts on here, my question is, i do mount birds but they are allways crow size birds, im now trying to small birds the size of sparrows, i do struggle with them, and trying to get all the meat out i find very fiddly, now ive been told that its acceptable to leave the wing meat in and just put plenty of borax in the wings and they will be all right, now ive always went to a lot of trouble to get every bit of meat out of any birds i mount, so is it acceptable to leave meat in the wings of small birds ? thanks in advance for any reply's.

2. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

I do a lot of songbirds, some smaller then sparrows, and the wings are the easy part if you ask me. I invert them all the way and the meat comes out in less then a minute. Don't pull the skin, push it over the joints with your fingernails. Use potato starch for a better grip and for keeping the feathers dry.
    B S

3. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

I do the same will all birds.ive worked on some as small as finch.would not chance it if you want to do it the right way.no rott or bug worrie.the wing bones are so small and fragile use borax and rub gently.i do the same on legs..they are so thin and break so friggin easy...lol...good luck.

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Inject them with embalmex.

5. oskare

oskare Iceland

invert them and clean them like on normal birds...

6. There is only one correct way of doing things, ALWAYS. Please resist the temptation to shortcut and skin it and remove all the meat.

7. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Do you guys and girls wash your small birds

8. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

I wash them if needed. Some of the small guys can be really fat, especially just before they migrate. They are easy to wash though, I dry them in potato starch, then blow them with a hair dryer.
    B S

9. oskare

oskare Iceland

always invert clean all meat and wash the skins

10. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

thanks for all the reply's, looks like the meat will be removed from the wing when i do them.