1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gloss

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ysb123, Sep 6, 2015.

1. ysb123

ysb123 Member

Interested in learning what everyone is using as a final clear coat on their fish.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I seal with Krylon Matte, then brush on Enviro-Tex. Read the instructions on Enviro-Tex. 5 to 10 minutes after application, whisk it with a propane torch. This will release all the air bubbles, and leave a mirror-finish gloss. I mount the fish on panels or driftwood before glossing, and cover the panels or driftwood with Wal-Mart bags to prevent the gloss from getting on them. Enviro-Tex is a messy product to deal with, but the end results are fantastic. Use disposable "chip brushes" or clean your brush with acetone immediately after use. Turn off the lights in your room, and take a flashlight to search for any lost bristles on the fish while it is wet. Use forceps to remove any stray bristles. Hope this helps...joeym

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Envirotex is a little too thick for me personally, and I've seen it yellow too many times for me to trust it.

I've used a lot over the years. I use Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer in the rattle can for small stuff, and odd jobs, and also a Deltron 2 part gloss for a lot of batches as well.

This has been covered a lot on here. Do yourself a favor and search the topic in the search bar, and you will have material to read for DAYS.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for your style, and fits your needs.

Jimmy

4. ysb123

ysb123 Member

Thanks, I use the rustolium lacquer, I end up applying about 4 to 5 coats to get the wet look I want. Just looking for new ideas, thanks guys..

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Yep. Lots of different options!

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    one more opinion
    DCU2002 3part automotive
    Carl

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use 2 part automotive. It has UV protection built in so maybe it will keep the paints from fading over time. At any rate, it's easy to apply and comes out looking wet and glossy without bubbles.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automotive-Clear-Coat-Fast-Dry-2K-Urethane-SMR-130-75-4-1-Gallon-Clearcoat-Kit-/260913491132?hash=item3cbfa7ecbc&item=260913491132&vxp=mtr

Free shipping, biggest bang for your buck. If you do a lot of fish you're throwing money away using the aerosol can products as a significant part of the can is propellent.

I've also had lots of issues with products other than automotive clear coats, especially products sold by the taxidermy supply companies that apparrently sat on the shelf too long.

Think about it: how long would a company stay in business if people had issues in applying clear coat to their cars? Can you imagine painting an entire car and the clear coat screws up?

With the automotive clear coats I've used I've never had issues.

9. ysb123

ysb123 Member

I was leaning toward trying the automotive clear coat. Any tricks about using it? I never have as you can tell. Lol

10. I have been using the Gary Bowen Super Fish Gloss......Aerosol can...with not so great results. I am going to give the automotive 2 part that Cecil just posted a try.....Thank You Cecil.....!!

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Do a flash coat first, and make sure you wear a respirator.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

And have a spray booth sucking it out! Skipping that step is really really bad news! I actually don't wear a respirator but I'm spraying toward the booth and fumes and spray are immediately sucked out. it's a very powerful booth that sounds like a 747 taking off.

Also dump excess, and clean the cup our really good with lacquer thinner when you're done. Then put some into the cup and run it through into bucket or garbage can that has paper towels in it but facing your spray booth. Next take the gun apart and clean each part. You won't get a second chance. LOL

13. roonie

roonie Member

just to add...the very powerful spray booth sometimes can cause trouble with drying etc....dust particals being pulled up against the fish etc. But they really do create a healthy environment for the taxidermist.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Or a dog hair! LOL Fortunately I look the fish over really good before setting down and if I see one it immediately comes off! ;D

15. One more ideal for you if you are going to stick with an aerosol. Find an after market spray nozzle that will deliver more volume. Here's one that works well with the Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer, http://artprimo.com/catalog/calligraphy-red-p-319.html
    Here's another, http://artprimo.com/catalog/calligraphy-black-p-317.html
    The black gives you more volume than any stock nozzle. The red gives you even more than the black.