1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dove Mounting Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by smitty0810, Sep 8, 2015.

1. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

So Doves are apparently extremely difficult to mount. I have done some searching on here and found scattered information about them but no real solid threads with tips or a how to when mounting them. I saved 2 specimens from my hunt on saturday and I am planning to try them out but could really use some guidance first.

For one, I haven't used a real head yet on any of the ducks I have done. I am assuming with the dove I will use the actual head and fill it with critter clay or bondo or something. Is that true? if so, I guess I wont be skinning around the beak.

Also I have read that you shouldn't/cant wash them. Well. what happens when I flesh it? Do they not need to be fleshed? I have never noticed much fat when cleaning them after a hunt so perhaps not.

Best skinning methods?

If we can get a few different points of advice on this thread I think it make for a helpful thread later on. Ill probably send a PM to one or two people anyway since the bird thread nowadays doesnt seem to be getting much activity.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

After getting totally frustrated mounting the first one, send the second to someone to freeze dry. NancyC gave some great pointers on dove mounting in a seminar I once attended. Seems like you do not wash them, use talc to clean the feathers.

3. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Danny Owens has an excellent video on mounting doves you could help yourself by buying it

4. vmax

vmax Member

I think Kenny Roger said it best, " You need to know when to walk away and when to run ".......LOL

All joking aside.....I respect anybody that is willing to try!!!!!

I second what Tony said about a video from Danny Owens.....Danny is very good at this stuff and is a very good teacher!!!

Good luck and hang in there!!!!!!!

5. First tip is not try to mount a dove that was killed in september wait until late december january less pin feathers, second tip take your time, skin it out like any other bird, wash dry and mount it. I can't understand why everyone thinks a dove is so hard to mount. Its just another bird different name good luck

6. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

Id tried mounting the peaceful dove oh boy very small the skin was like wet paper,no luck tho But I will have another crack down the track.good luck

7. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Thanks for the info guys, I will have to check out that Danny Owens video. While the general idea cant be much different than a duck, there are a few steps I don't have a complete understand of yet, like using the actual head. And yea, I understand about the early season deal. I actually plucked one dove all the way while I was bored in the field, just to look at the anatomy and what not. It was a smaller juvenile bird but it was loadedddd with pin feathers.

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

that's all we get here is sept and some oct birds before they migrate...there are skinning methods you can use involving the skeletal system also they can and should be washed a dip in da will help dry them with lower air power use borax when you skin to keep blood and fat from feathers don't turn head all the way just far enuf to remove eyes,then with a type of flat spoon tool separate skin from skul but don't turn.....skinning the rest is hard to explain in words but could be put into a u-tube video

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Make sure you're up to date with all the profanity you can remember. Remove any firearms, ropes or any sharp knives other than a small scapel. Have a dozen or so extra doves on hand.

10. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Beer, lots!

11. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Beer, lots!

12. magicmick

magicmick magicmick

That's where I went wrong,will try that bourbon tho ;)

13. byrdman

you don't need extras...just treat each bird as a special individual...forget about mass production for the day and focus on one bird....take your time ...doves are definetlly not the hardest bird there is to mount.....can think of at least a half dozen more...

14. byrdman

I can do a u-tube showing how to skin leaving the pelvis,back ribs intact with leg and wing bones attached and cleaned the feathers on the back and thighs on a dove and pigeon are designed to fall out to confuse predators and these are the ones you are mainly apt to lose during skinning and washing.and skinning/cleaning head without turning or using fakey bill

15. BigSwede

BigSwede Member

Hi Byrdman, that sounds VERY interesting and I am sure your effort would be greatly appreciated. I myself have mounted pigeons and doves, but would not touch a bird that is not in prime condition. Didn't know about the defense mechanism with loosing back feathers but it sure explains why they are so loosely attached to skin.
    B S

16. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Practice up on a few woodcocks first.