1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bondo ears

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by davehyer, Sep 9, 2015.

1. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

There was another thread regarding bondo ears, I didn't want to hi jack his thread so I started this one.

In reading his question, I was just wondering why anyone would use that method, unless it was a species that commercial earliners weren't available for.

I have used it myself on different species in the past, and I only do it if I have no other option.

It may be slightly more expensive, but I see no other advantage. by the time you consider the added time to do it that way, the cost has to be a wash.

Maybe I am over looking something.

2. Dave it's no difference than any thing else. Practice increases speed. Some folks take all day on one duck others will do several in a day. The time you put in preparing earliners , I can be finished with bondo. I tried ears liners several times over the last thirty years as recently as two years ago. It's always back to bondo for me. Besides I would miss the smell The issue is as variable as gas, krowtan, DP, NTA,

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I can't imagine why a taxidermist would be so concerned what or how another taxidermist performs his trade and what materials they use performing the tasks at hand.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Bondo ears are easier, faster, cheaper and look good enough. That's why.

I use earliners these days(I drank the Kool-Aid) but if it weren't for all the years of breathing in resin fumes I would still be using Bondo. Ever since acquiring sensitivity to Epoxies I have been trying to be a little more healthy by cutting out as much inhaling of harmful gases as possible....and I finally found a glue for earliners that works well for me.

I ALWAYS want to know the reasons a guy does/uses what he does. I always say I have learned SOMETHING from every taxidermist I know, even the worst haxidermist out there.

5. michael p.

I get that Jim. I'm talking about wondering why some use methods I feel are over complicating the situation or not as economical or time consuming....... that's none of my business. But yes, I do wonder how some people pull off the talent they have!

6. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

Well said Mike! I have won Breakthrough and Judges choice 2 years in a row, and others in years past with bondo ears. I have a great mixture that is super strong, and I can produce a thin, crisp ear. I guarantee I can do a pair of bondo ears 4 times faster than it takes to do one earliner (removing cartilage, installing earliner, drying, etc. )

However, a well done ear liner is hard to beat. And, have seen some bondo ears that make you want to vomit. I just do so much goofy stuff (all over the world, torn ears, etc) that I prefer my way.

To each their own. I'm off to the woods to chase some bugling bulls......

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I get it. However I know Dave and I doubt he is trying to start a showdown...even if it sounds like he is :p

I am with you, if someone wants to use methods I don't like I could care less. I still use Bondo on everything other than wt deer.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use both depending on the situation. On some ears like pig ears, it's sometimes super hard to get the cartilage out and just easier to do a bondo ear. With torn/split ears I use a method with earliners that Bill Yox taught at a yoxathon that is much easier and quicker than bondo.

9. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

What I asked was a legitimate question. I know how long it takes me to do an ear with an earlliner including removing the cartilage, and it's not very long at all.

That's why I asked.

I learn something new everytime I work with another taxidermist, I don't pretend to know everything.

If you want to be offended by my post that's entirely up to you.

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Your question is fine. I used bondo when I first started but with liners it was a hands down winner for me. Easier to work the clay butts in, nice sharp edges and shape. Now that is with some liners as some are to be less desired, I set and clay eyes, set antlers and Mache skull plate and while that is setting up pull cartilage and rough up liner. For me, I like the end result. A plus is no sewing, line up holes or split edges and glue, holds together no time lost sewing. Wire brush when dry, done. Most beginners use the bondo method because that's what is being used on a lot of videos or its how they were taught. What ever works best for you but give all methods a try, nothing is a first time one two three easy speasy, practice and some day the world will all seem right LOL.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

I have always loved the control I have over the quality of bondo ears. They can be done thin and to perfection. I won Master of Masters at the worlds with bondo ears. 8)

Attached Files:

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I've said it before, the Bondo method works great for those that know how to properly do it. I see many that swear by it, that probably shouldn't be using it. I use it as last resort because I am not one that can do it worth a darn, and I can admit it. I'll typically make a liner, if one isn't available.

13. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Coyote looks great

14. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Major
    How long do you think it takes you to do the ears on a commercial deer?

When I tried to use bondo I struggled to get a nice thin ear and it seemed like it took me for ever.

15. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I believe doing quality bondo ears takes most people a lot of practice. It is the method I was taught with, and I'm glad that I took the time to learn it, because it definitely is a great skill to have when dealing with ears that look like a pair of gloves, or animals with no good liners available. If I learned liners first, it would probably be frustrating to learn bondo ears.

16. I started out with Liners and did them that way for 3 years. I tried bondo and have not stopped using it in 27 years.

17. michael p.

It wasn't a matter of being offended, it was the statement 'I was just wondering why anyone would use that method, unless it was a species that commercial earliners weren't available for.'........ I just can't comprehend why anybody would wonder about others methods in their shop. I guess I've just seen so many taxidermists ask 'why does he charge that?', 'why does he Krowtann?', 'why does he do his own tanning?', 'why does he use dry preservative?!', 'why does he use beetles?', 'why does he simmer his skulls?', 'why does he use 2nd to Nature?', 'why does he not use a real tan over synthetic?'........ it's not the 'why' if you are learning, it's the 'why' if you are questioning his methods that you as a taxidermist do not use.

An example. One of the most successful taxidermist down here in Texas is James Newport. I seen this man mount the whole face of a deer, eye set and all and then attach his antlers and do the rest. I could ask why he did that to learn, but never 'question' his method because I am not successful at it and ask it in a way as 'why is he doing that because it's wrong'. It's not wrong, hell his success shows that. It's just different than the way I do it and plus he smokes me and most others hands down with his talent.

Maybe the question should be 'why can I not do that successfully' instead of 'why would anybody do that inferring my method was better.

It's the Internet, it's not spoken so you read into what is typed the way you feel it come across.

No offense here, I guess I just don't question others about there methods different from mine unless I'm trying to understand, grasp and learn them better

18. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I guess I could have worded it differently, but I really was asking the question because I wanted to understand why people prefer that method over ear liners. I know I have less than 5 minutes per ear using ear liners, and double that using bondo.

I have to be doing it wrong. I would like to see someone do it that's proficient.

19. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

Earliners for many years now it's bondo all day but it does take practice to do it right

20. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

I've never used earliners. Not one single pair in 30 years, not even in competition, and never will either. Not even on Kudu. I use bond.resin and chop. I would'nt even know how to use them.

Oh our Whitetail judge,at this years show(Texas)thought that i used earliners... Yea they were that thin.. ;)