1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking for very skilled taxidermist to mount up a very special cat

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by nina5150, Sep 12, 2015.

1. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

Hello.im looking for a very skilled and confident taxidermist with allot of experience in casting and molding.this project is a once in a life time mount and would need special care.my friend does not want to freeze dry him as he wants me to articulate his skeleton , please pm me with contact info,web site or pictures of you work if you are interested.Here is the cat.Mr.Frank & Louie.thanks for your time.

[​IMG]

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I wouldnt leave this open for just anyone wanting to try...go ahead and contact Rick Carter.

3. nina5150

I agree.My friend initially wanted me to do the mount but i was honest and say im not skilled enough to successfully mount him exactly like the pic.Thats why i would need pics and/or web site to see references and ultimatel it would be my friends decision on who would do the mount..i have contacted a few people on here but did not get response back...:/...i understand its a little intimidating being due to the history of frank and louie..

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

X2 on Rick Carter

5. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

http://www.cartertaxidermy.com

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

X3 One of the few taxidermists I would trust with a pet cat, much less one that difficult to mount.

7. Please don't forget to save all the bones of the skeleton, including hyoid bones (this one should have double set), sesamoid bones at base of fingers, clavicles and especially baculum (penis bone). Penis should be carefully removed while skinning and dried until skeleton cleaning time comes (by dermestids I presume?)
    A complete skeleton is really important for this unique specimen.
    So, if the claws are needed to be present on the mount, it would be better to skin the cat without leaving claws on skin (toes are turned easily!), then extract distal toe phalanges from claw sheaths (by macerating claws in small numbered jars). Then claw sheaths are attached to mount and phalanges go to skeleton.

8. nina5150

Thanks for your response. Im more than aware of the uniqueness as why i was being unselfish and honest in refusing to do the mount and finding some one more skilled,as there are allot more people who are more qualified even tho i was asked to do both mount and articulation .i will not know what he has developed untill i get the carcass back and these needs and concerns will be discussed with the taxidermist who my friend has chosen . i can only work with what i get,which sould be everything.(im hoping)

9. Looks like the skeleton is already completed... and distal phalanges are present. Not sure about baculum & hyoid bones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Never saw this originally due to it just being in the "wanted" section. Incredible job with that and a rarity indeed. Would love to see more pictures of it if they become available.

11. nina5150

Sorry guys...no thats not frank and louie..i believe that is a fake..a friend of mine did him up in new york and when it was shipped down to California, the case was damaged and a few parts fell off so he asked me if i could repair everything and i did and returned it back to the companey located in San Francisco .
    He could not find anyone who wanted to mount up frank and louie at his price so everything remained whole and intact.I had since stoped doing articulations due to the avian taxidermy im doing now.So i have not talked with him since and i dont know if he has.but this cat is not the famous cat...

12. OddArticulations

OddArticulations Member

The cat pictured is a fake like Nina said. The real cat has already been mounted (looks outstanding). I was asked about doing the articulation but the owner stopped communicating. Don't know what ever came of the skeleton.

13. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Haha, was a fun and horrific project all at the same time, and the skeleton is still in my freezer! Waiting for the owner to tell me when I can ship it to him or whoever is doing the articulation.

14. Sea Wolf

You have the original kitty then? Still not articulated? What a shame. As it was a pet, I wonder if the owner had second thoughts at all.

15. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Yes, I know he certainly is still planning on having it articulated, he just wants to find the right person to do it first.

16. What happened to the clavicles, hyoid, penis bone? The claws are surely cut off when skinning and remain with the mount.

17. Sea Wolf

The claws surely would be missing if it was skinned for a mount. As for the baculum, possibly it remained attached to the hide depending on how it was skinned. Claws and baculum are something that would be easily replaced on a domestic cat. The hyoid is probably still on the skinned carcass. The focus point of this particular cat is his grand and unusual head. It appears that most of the rest of him was normal, looking at videos of him when alive. Still, I would love to see the original skull at some point if it is ever cleaned.

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Im not sure, you might not need to assume that. Depending on the mount, instruction given, and the arrangement for the skeleton, it is likely that stuff IS still intact. I guess Daniel can best answer that.