1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nose to tail estimate

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Driftless, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Just looking for some help on estimating length of a black bear. I do a couple each year but they're usually smaller this bear by about 100 lbs. I need to give an estimate for a life-size mount. The bear was weighed at 340 lbs. it was skinned for lifesize by guide and is frozen. They took no measurements which is the norm from what I've seen. For those of you that do more bears than I, what would you estimate the length of this bear would be? Obviously I will explain to customer that actual cost will be based on the actual size, I just want to show him some forms that are similar in size to his bear.
    Thanks,
    Shawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

For rugs I charge by the foot, but for lifesize I charge a total price regardless of size. You may have to wait until you get the tanned skin back, stretch it width ways first, and then measure.

3. Hey Boarhunter - just wondering approximately what the nose to tail would be on this bear. Of course I will remeasure after tanned and shaved before I order anything, but I need to give my customer a ballpark estimate up front so looking for someone that does a lot of bears to give me an idea on how long this bear was live.

4. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Bears vary so much that all you can get is a guess. I say 5 1/2 - 6 ft. If it truly was a 350 lb. bear. They always seem to grow a lot in the freezer. Ha !

5. Riverland

Riverland New Member

67 1/2 by 50 3/4

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    6 ft.

7. Thanks Brian, Riverland, and 3 bears! The weight I'm going off of is what the guide wrote on tag when weighed before he skinned. This does help me a lot. I'll charge him for a 6 ft bear up front as I round up. Thank you, Shawn.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Don't trust the weight given you, unless it was put on a scale. In the last three years we have taken 4 bear in that weight range, all were put on a certified scale! The lengths ranged from 65" to 69", nose to tail. I believe that you are safe in calling it a 6' bear for the purpose of giving your client an estimate. For any bear over 5'(60") I charge $650 per foot.

9. Riverland

Riverland New Member

If the outfitter said it was 350 then it will be closer to 250 unless the hunter saw it himself on a scale. Then it could be dressed or with the guts in it. Is it a long bear or a short fat bear ? Boar or sow? 7ft from the tip of the claw on the back foot to the nose or nose to tail? If you can't tell within a few inches how big a bear is by looking at its frozen head and a front foot you are probably not qualified to be giving prices on lifesize bears. If you price by the foot you have not looked at the price of an Hq bear compared to a McKenzie shipped to your door. Labor plus materials is the only way to go unless you figure a ton of overage costs into charging by the foot. Nothing I hate more than seeing a crappy bear mount that looks like a stuffed 200lb Weiner dog on a moss covered piece of plywood because halfway through the taxidermist just realized he is going to loose his ass because they didn't charge enough for the mount that someone paid 2k to get mounted that started as a "350lb" bear.

10. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Word...

River land is on the money.

Bears, totally different animal to bid.

Peace

11. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

I do 30 plus bear a year skin and mount and I weigh them all they vary a ton I have boars come in 6' nose to tail huge feet no fat and only weighed 220# and had same size bears weigh 350# plus, the only way to truly give him a accurate price is to tell him you need to thaw and measure it, that is what I tell customers and they are fine with that unless he is just price shopping everyone in your area for the low guy. Than you really don't want him for a customer. just my two cents

12. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

This may be something you should review....

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=148325.0;topicseen