1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hampshire, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I received a coyote and bobcat that are case skinned and tanned. They are very old. The feller wants me to clean them up a bit and do some trimming on them. My question is that the coyote is very greasy you can tell that it wasn't degreased prior to tanning. Being already tanned can I still degrease him and how. Neither animal smells or looks bad.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Darrell, that's a very "iffy" situation. If it's old, it quite possibly could be grease burned and by rehydrating it, you'll end up with coyote oatmeal. I've seen these things literally dissolve when wet.

3. blackpup

blackpup New Member

Darrell, If your customer is in agreement you can do a small test . I prefer the corner of the mouth or one of the legs.
    Use an aggressive solvent and soak a spot about the size of a quarter, have some cob dry or saw dust ready and do this on the flesh side, let soak about 30 seconds and rub the saw dust on to evaporate the solvent. If all is OK then procede slowly until finished. You may have to lightly apply some leather conditioner if all goes well. Good Luck, Monte Sink

4. I hear ya George. Had a guy bring me in a dry tanned bear that he bought at an auction. he did not know the age, so I told him I owuld rehydrate and do the rug mount, but not knowing the age of the tan, It was at his own risk, and also liable for any damages to the hide if it fell apart. he signed off to the effect. Thank God!!!! I soaked it for about 6 hours in a salt brine, then bagged and refrigerated overnight. Next day, the fur was just falling out as the leather just crumbled like oatmeal in my hands. Thank god for signatures

5. RobinK

RobinK New Member

soaked up an old yotre skin not long ago fell a part

6. Darrell; I got in a 45 year old capercaille that was dirty and nicotine greasy. I used brake cleaner to degrease and clean it and it did a good job. You can buy cans of it at auto parts stores and it evaporates quickly with no residue. It is highly flammable,so be careful. Good luck-