1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elk Cape slippage rescue treatment.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by [email protected], Sep 22, 2015.

1. Nickgilliam@att.net

[email protected] New Member

I live near a tannery. I brought in a frozen cape that was in great shape. Days old. Rather then flesh and salt like I normally would, they offed as a favor to do this for me. I had a terrible feeling about this. But went with the easy route. Fast forward 2 weeks, they call to inform me of a rejected cape. All they had done was take my frozen cape, immerse it in a pickle and waited 2 weeks to pull, inspect and flesh. OBVIOUSLY not the correct manner. It began to rot.

So now I have the cape, it is slipping some, has a mild fowl smell. I plan on fleshing it on my wheel, storing it in a pickle. Get it nice and thin, over a couple days. I was thinking about then salting it hard. (its 100 degrees here) could be hard in 24 hrs. Then Rehydrating in a pickle, then tanning.

What do you guys think my of my plan. What should my processes should be. Is the salting idea poor? I cant get stop rot or any other product delivered for a few days.

BTW its was a 364 inch elk with a 33 inch neck and 13 inch eye to nose, a trophy.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

First off the frozen cape is one problem here. You never know if any thing frozen is good or not unless you took care of it yourself.

Second thing here is ok they thawed the cape in a pickle. Well that's fine and no damage should have occurred while in the pickle. That is a safe practice and works fine. The only problem with the pickle is, it must be stirred, mixed agitated twice a day. If that was done then there should be no mold growing on it. If it wasn't mixed and we don't know that then black mold could have grown on it and that would cause your slippage. To many variables here to say.

Now as for your process just pickle it till your ready to tan it. If you want to take it out of the pickle for yourself then just freeze the cape. Do not salt it or let it get dried out.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Dang sorry to hear and I would ask for some compensation from the tannery.