1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wastin a lot of time!!!!!!!! Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by WildArt2013, Sep 23, 2015.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

Guys I've been doing this for about six years. When I flesh a cape I take absolutely forever. I flesh the cape fine, have trouble on the brisket area (fatty thin tissue) and the face wears me out. I spend up to four hours every time! Maybe I'm getting the cape too damn clean for salting. IDK? How clean before salting and pickle. I know the pickle an salt has to penetrate obviously but you guys takin an hour to flesh a deer cape mystifies me. I've done a ton of deer. I'm just not getting it lol. I've got to decrease my time spent! Please I need suggestions! Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Are you falling behind or losing capes, because of how long it takes? If not, why let it bother you. I am one that takes a little more time to flesh my capes prior to salting. it all has to get done at some time. I like to start on the harder areas, that way after I get that done, it is all down hill from there.

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

remove all the red meat and white fat, turn the lips ears nose. Salt dry, send to a tannery. go have a beer.

4. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I don't lose anything. I do have a family and don't do taxidermy full time. That's why it bothers me. Also if it can be done quicker why the hell not get better an faster, lol. I don't mind fleshing at all, but time I also money in any sort of business. Just need suggestions I all. Types of tools etc, I use a ball for fleshing the face, beam etc. when on the face people say split ear nose lips etc, but u gotta get that clean too. Just a little help. Appreciate it.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

That's one of the reasons I forked out the amount of money I did for the Whizard flesher. Now it takes me 30 min.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    How do you accomplish fleshing your capes, beam/knife, pressure washer, machine? Maybe it would be a better fit to pay a turn and tan service to take care of your fresh capes? There isn't a magic bullet, it is a tedious part of the job requirement. I use a scalpel for the face and an ulu knife and beam for the rest and have about an hour in each, typically, if I stay focused, but there is some that take longer.

7. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Exactly right.

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Draw knife and fleshing beam. 15 minutes from back of shoulders to forehead . Draw knife on beam for the face. Scalpel to turn and split. Jonas ear splitters and wire ear turner thingy for the ears.

9. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

It takes me about 30 minutes to turn lips eyes ears and flesh. I use shears for the face, only use a scalpel for splitting lips and eyes. I flesh the rest on the beam. I use a very sharp necker fleshing knife.

Where do you live? I would be happy to show you how I do it.

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Cape head out, invert cape, put on beam. wipe on a bit of salt and flesh body using big sharp curved knife and move up to face doing large areas of face the same as body. use scalpel and smaller sharp knife to turn and flesh rest of face, ears, hour and a half. The salt helps to tighten skin making fleshing easier, also very sharp knife edge.

11. Riddler

Riddler Member

Listen to Jerry!

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have found that a super sharp draw knife works best for me.

13. nick_3401

nick_3401 Member

use to take me 7 hours to skin out and turn and flesh it all out, eventually it you'll get faster. I'm down to 2 1/2 hours and its ready for salting now. I would suggest just skinning head and sending out to fleshing/tanning service that way you can skip the head ache and you can just do the fun (mounting) when it comes back. not sure how your skinning out head, but skin as close to skin as you can, as to leave as little as possible for later if do yourself.

14. jk

jk Active Member

I have gotten it down to 1/2 hour to cape and 1-1.5 hours to flesh and salt. I have used a dakota flesher on the back of the cape to get all meet and fat off. In the end I do not see a difference in the tanned cape (if they were really clean or just fairly cleaned). I do think this is a really overlooked area for a great mount. There is no substitute for cape preparation. I have also found that after salting, if I leave them rolled up for 2 days rather than one they seem to dry out faster. Salt has more time to such out moisture. Just make sure most fluids can drain off of the cape. Once re-salted, on set out to dry, a fan helps speed up the drying process. Here is what I do:

Typical scenario- Deer in on Monday- caped and fleshed that day
    Wednesday drain and re-salt
    Friday will typically be dry enough to fold cape and place in open box to finish drying (Fold it while it is semi-dry so it will fit in cardboard box).
    Seal up box and ship when box is full.

Good Luck
    J

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

This has not been mentioned so I will. Just like when skinning out a fish it is important to come up with a system and pretty much stick to it. In other words repetition.

I usually do 3 or 4 at a time and can manage 4 in about 2 hrs. I like to do the face first and always do it in this order. Turn Lips, turn nose, turn eyes, turn ears, set aside. After all are turned I will take them all to the beam and flesh with a necker knife. I use Krowtan at this time so they go straight in that from there. When I was sending them out they went in the salt.

Secondly they are not clean enough to do a dry preserve mount at this time, thicker pieces of meat are removed but that's it. It is difficult for me to detail flesh a green hide...some guys are great at it but I am not and will cut it up. So it helps me to do the detail fleshing after the tan.

Funny story, back in the day a friend of mine looked at my salted skins and thought I left too much...His were spotless...talking to Keith Daniels(who did both our capes) at the Ohio convention he asked him about it. Keith told him that he preferred a little more left on so he had something to work with when he was fleshing off the face. My friend mentioned that he saw mine and Keith said "Well not THAT much!" :D

16. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

A lot if great input here. I need to check out that whizzed gadget. If properly thawed or brought in freshly harvested the caping may take me 20-30 minutes. Splitting and turning doesn't take but another half hour. Fleshing usually depends, but I would say an hour probably. Same with my wife except for the splitting and turning, that takes her a while because she hasn't grasped or developed a technique she is comfortable with. So what we typically do when we get 3-4 deer in at once is I will cape and split everything on the first deer and hand it off to her to flesh everything but the face and salt what she has fleshed. By the time she is done fleshing I have another caped and split. After I have all the deer caped and split I will go back to the first deer and flesh the face, turn the ears, salt the head, tag, and hang to dry. We developed a pretty good round robin system that does two things;it minimizes time spent in the shop and we are doing something together instead of her being inthe house and me in the shop all night. I do this as a side business as well and this really helps free up time. As for tools we use scalpels and ulus, a small beam and ball for the head, and believe it or not an ironing board for fleshing the body. The ironing board idea I stumbled on a few years ago and tried it and it works great. I use it when foredom fleshing out of the pickle as well and it works pretty slick.

17. boarhunter67

http://www.bettcher.com/taxidermy. Just to warn you, it's very expensive. I can do the fleshing with mine in about 10 minutes for a deer, and 30 minutes for a hog shield, which is the main reason I got it. It's a big one time investment that you have to weigh against the time saved over the years you'll be doing it.

18. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

I had a demo of one in my shop, I am faster on the fleshing beam than with the hand held machine.

19. boarhunter67

You must be very fast. It takes me about 10 minutes or less to flesh a deer with mine.

20. Skin Deep

Skin Deep Member

USA
    Can you use a hand held mini-flesher? seems like the same product just different design. Does anyone use the mini-flesher in them terms? I own one maybe i should give a shot. What is the price on whizzed? I know you say expensive but the web site does not give a price.