1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gator mount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Leroy22, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

is it leagle to own a 2-3 ft. full body gator mount in Florida? I do see lots of heads for sale at flea markets.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

i believe so, but my opinion (or anybody else's) won't keep you from being fined if it is indeed illegal. Check with your state's fish and game department. They should have all the information spelled out for you and published on line.

3. capnmike

capnmike New Member

The cites tag stays with the skin. If it has a cites tag in the tail it's legal to own or sell. When alligator farms process gators the skin gets sold then the meat then the head.

4. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

doesn't have a tag so shouldn't buy it huh. not sure who mounted it, seems like its not a very old mount. really want it

thanks for the advice

5. capnmike

capnmike New Member

No tag on tail, not legal

6. Leroy22

Leroy22 Member

thas I was thinking, so whats the deal with all the gator head that have been popping up at flea markets lately with no tags,? some vendors have many heads all sizes. im thinking farm raised but how and does that make a difference?

7. capnmike

capnmike New Member

Heads don't have to have tags. Tags stay with the skins as that is where the value is. Guys will buy the heads from gator farms and soak them in phormaldehyde then put marbles in their eyes and sell them to tourist or whoever

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I cannot answer the gator question but this may be similar, other critters that require a cities tag are required to have a tag attached until the skin is tanned.

9. I cant speak for other states. SO CHECK!
    In Louisiana the tag must stay in place until the skin is processed. There definition of processed is once the tanning process starts. In its raw/salted/frozen state the tag better still be there. You CAN NOT cut the tag to skin the last small portion of tail, which creates a inconvenience. If the tag is cut before processed it is a illegal gator, In your possession. Gators here have to be inspected by the LWL&F. Since there is no local place for the hunter to do so. I have to call the LWL&F and they come to shop and do the inspection.
    Again check with them ask questions, cover your ass!

10. stroh

stroh Member

Here is the number to call about alligators in fl..850-488-3831. Ask for Harry Dutton or Steve Stiegler. They are in charge of the alligator program