1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Angus Bull Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by taxidermygirl, Sep 27, 2015.

1. taxidermygirl

taxidermygirl Member

Hi guys, I have a customer that would like a Polled Angus Bull mounted. I am looking for a form and the closest I can find is Research domestic cow. R-283, Has anyone out there mounted on this form before? I am wondering if this is a bull form with the big humped shoulders or specifically a cow....but would a cow be a "Polled"? Is this the form for a 1000+ lbs bull or is there a better one out there? Bison?
    Thanks in advance

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

WOW! What a challenge! I think a Bison mannikin would create more issues than it would solve.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Polled just means it has no horns. Angus bulls have only a slight hump, more at the neck than at the shoulder. Bison would be WAY off completely. Cow form (female) lacks the size and muscle of a bull and would require a LOT adaptation. I would get a bull form (horned) and file down the horn bases and leave them off. I know Research Mannekins has one (W-287) and I would bet McKenzie or one of the other suppliers will have one as well.

4. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

* Grumpas bullhead 2.jpg (25.07 kB, 480x360 - If the picture shows up when you click on the link, I mounted this on a greatly altered cape buffalo form. Worked it up with reference shots of my customers bull before we butchered it. Well the link doesn't work. And I'm not computer literate. Ask George.
    Or try this link https://www.facebook.com/169972024301/photos/pb.169972024301.-2207520000.1443569560./10152735378209302/?type=3&theater

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I used to raise registered black angus and I can tell you they have certain distinct characteristics that will be hard to match off of just any form. Of course, with any form you're going to have to adapt somewhat, but you need to get the one clesest to the measurements your bull has. If it were me, I would use Van Dykes LHV-101, LHV-300 or the above mentioned form from Reasearch. Make sure you add the hump, or neck swell, high on the neck. Jonas has a Hereford bull form that might be adapted, but probably would have to be cut down and have neck hump added. If your bull has a shoulder hump, its a Brangus and one of the brahman forms would work better - again just cut horn bases off in that your bull is polled.

6. jk

jk Member

Years ago I mounted a miniature Herford bull head. I was able to get a form form from research or Jonas not sure which. It was a cardboard form. I altered it, put some additional support in it and poured it with foam. It turned out great. First and last time I mounted on a cardboard form. I am sure you could find something closer today. Being an old farm boy, I would think that a herford and angus form would be close. Lots of measurements and start altering. While these jobs are challenging they can also be a lot of fun. Good Luck

J

7. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Just did a Scottish highlander on lhv300 in vandykes. Head was pretty close. I widdened the shoulder 3 inches and lengthened neck about 4 inches . not as much work as it sounds. turned out pretty nice. The nose pad is closer to a cape buffalo than what is on the form. Used bison earliners that were perfect. also not not computer literate with pics but can email if interested.

8. Gary B.

Gary B. Active Member

If you can't find something close to the size needed, you may want to check out cape buffalo forms as they have more sizes available

Gary B.

9. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

try this link also http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,221887.msg1568893.html#msg1568893

10. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

Check out Hauser Forms , I was surprised at the amount of cattle forms they had when I looked the other day

11. Davidbelgium

Davidbelgium New Member

There is a also this supplier in the UK http://www.jhtsupplies.co.uk/highland-bull-shoulder-mount-hb-1/p00000605

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's a shame that US suppliers don't import those forms from the UK. It's some very nice work and with taxidermy suddenly become a favorite of decorators (after decades of claiming taxidermy work devalued the home - sanctimonious bastards), it would be nice to have a selection. When it comes to the big cows, the first place I look is the Cape buffalo forms. Unless it's a longhorn, the cape has that built in "attitude" that makes a shoulder mount eye catching. Most of the cow forms tend to look docile and like...........................................cows.

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Those are all research mannikin forms on that site

14. George

You're correct Jerry. That link is not to the guy I just looked at last week or so. Perhaps Grumpa or Richard Christoforo have that link.

15. George

You won't find these in the Research Catalog ..... OR anyone elses here in the us.

http://hauser-tierformen.de/hausershop/index.php?cPath=33_50

P.S. I just LOVE the ony 2 measurments LMAO