1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Rug Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by sealow, Sep 29, 2015.

1. sealow

sealow Member

I have a client that doesn't want felt on his rug. I've only done about half a dozen rugs and have sent them all out to get rugged after doing the taxidermy work. What do you guys use to hide the plywood under the rugshell in this instance? Thanks.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    At most I would paint it black, but only if I thought it needed it.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It won't be seen as the head will rest on the floor or wall with the plywood covered by the hide of the head and the wall/floor. You could cover the wood with black felt or other cloth.

4. Always put a backing on the whole rug ! Felt or not. Its the professional way to go.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Fishslayer is dead on. This is a great time to educate your client. You can rug a bear without having that fringe exposed (I think they look cheap and silly personally). The rug should be backed so that the hide can lay flat and prevent premature wear of the edges. No way one gets out of here without a backing. And NO, the customer is NOT always right. You're the taxidermist. Educate him.

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I have never done any rug with felt on the entire bottom...not only mine but every one I have ever seen had a lightweight denim... still, explain to them how it is required on the mount

7. sealow

sealow Member

Thanks guys I'll advise to go with the some sort of backing. I was just thinking to myself on how odd that'll look with just the leather exposed.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I do have to ask, how much is one layer of any fabric going to make the rug lay flat? Unless you are implying he glues it to something rigid. The rug laying flat has more to do with making the necessary tucks or cuts and stitching as well as the stretching.

9. sealow

sealow Member

With that said...I wasn't very happy with the last rugger I sent my bears to (promised turn around time mostly). Who do you guys use on here?

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use Shipman's Taxidermy out of Georgia. The turn around time is average, but the quality and price are great.

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

I have never used felt under the rug either. Always used light weight denim. Felt on the boarder. I have done just the lining with no felt at all under the entire hide and just sewn to the edge of the hide, hemmed for a finished look when the customer didn't want felt. It looks good that way.

12. Been looking for a good rugger for over a year since the lady I was using for 20 years retired. Have yet to find anyone close to her quality. Frustrating. As far as felt backing, never use all felt over the entire back of a rug. It collects every piece of dirt and is impossible to clean. A lightweight canvas material is best. As far as no felt border, I agree it looks bad.

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most of us DON'T use "felt" and only use it as a border. Denim works but I prefer a heavy polyester that allows it to slide across the floor. 3bears, the single layer of fabric allows the hide to lie flat because it gives the hide a foundation support. All my rugs are "quilted. I tie the "felt" to the hide with a single stitch every 6 square inches. That insures that the hide doesn't "pillow" and in turn, insures the hide stays flat.

14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

George, when I was doing rugs I thought about doing that. When the thought came to me it was the last rug I did before I stopped doing taxidermy, so I never got to do it. I'm glad to see that the idea was a good one.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I use Rhonda's Ruggery in IL with great results. For customers that don't care for the scalloped felt look, we do a clean binding around the rug. Still padded and backed just like any other rug.

Attached Files: