1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Veining in Face

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Taxind, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Taxind

Taxind Member

What do most of you use to enhance the veining in the face of short haired deer ?

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Usually just hot glue, but if I'm wanting it perfect...cotton rope.

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I just build them up a bit with Apoxie Sculpt or clay then let it all harden before mounting.

4. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

I use to use apoxie sculpt but very easy to get them to big and you have to wait until it dries to mount. Now I just take a file and file down form around veins already on the form to get the size I want and it is quick and dont have to wait on anything to dry first.

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use rolls of clay and purposely build them up a little too much. I mount the deer before the clay dries so that I can still work it down to the size I like after mounting if it looks like too much. Then I let the clay dry with the mount. Works well for me!

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I take a sharp knife and just bad relief the existing veins. I then use a riffler file to contour the form. Use a good glue and the card them for s few days.

7. I build up with hot glue and card.

8. Cut around them rasp and use Pro -1 and no pinning needed.

9. Taxind

Taxind Member

I've tried the hot glue trick didn't turn out that great. Will give the knife and rasp a try! Thanks guys.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I just enhance the form alittle with a small rasp. Good glue and no carding required.

11. Boxie

Boxie New Member

small hot glue gun here

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have heard of, but never tried, using small surgical tubing.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Matt & George's way.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Add me to the list that George started, I don't usually get to emphasize those features, if I did it would look incorrect, except for the few very early bow season deer that may come through the door. I don't add anything just sand the form to emphasize them.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I share Michael p.'s sentiment.

16. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Hot glue if I even bother. Most deer I get in are not early season so the longer hair hides any or most detail.

17. dhart

dhart Active Member

Same here, very few short hair capes mounted here!