1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesher Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Paramount Taxidermy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Paramount Taxidermy

Paramount Taxidermy New Member

Hi all,

I'm just startng my businees and have a chance to buy a Dakota V and IV locally. Would this be a good move or should I hold out for something better? They both have the brass guards. Thanks in advance.

2. I don't really see why you would need both, you can only run one machine at a time (unless you are starting a tannery with trained shavers). If you are just starting out, you are gonna have trouble running one machine.

I would definitely choose the V over the IV. If you have to buy them as a package deal, you could always sell the one you don't want and recoup part of your money.

DP

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I held out for something better and have never regretted it.

4. Paramount Taxidermy

Paramount Taxidermy New Member

Thanks for the info all. I appreciate it.

Tim

5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I found a used Dakota V about a 2 years ago, it had the brass guards on it. I called Van Dyke/McKenzie and ordered the upgrade guard kit for my flesher, cost was about $40.00, with a new blade it's as good as a new one. Lots cheaper than purchasing a new one

Wyatt

6. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

What does the upgraded guards do different then the brass guards?

7. Break !!!

Unless you get the aluminum guards, no reason to replace the bronze guards.

DP

8. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Thanks DP.

I have been kicking around the idea of throwing a fresh blade on the Dakota 4 and making the necessary adjustments that you advised me of and trying it out again before buying a new machine. I had my mind made up a few times to just pull the trigger and buy one but I want to be a good Steward of my money. I only do about 30 WT a year. And I have been reading on here where people have been claiming to get great performance out of the 4. So it has to be me and my set up. I am going to give it one last try, then I am calling Kieth!

9. If you correct your guard set up it will make your life a lot easier.....let me know how it works out for you.

DP

10. I agree with DP, I had to learn to make the appropriate adjustments and it works so much better for me now!

11. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Agree with silverwings.... The correct setup of the guards will make life so much easier...... and as I found out feel has as much of an effect as proper setup. and that is something that is learned with experience..... I almost have to relearn every year cause I don't do enough fleshing/thinning to stay in practice.

12. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Or just remove the guards and shave by feel since that's pretty much what is happening anyway. I find this much easier...
    I was shown this years ago. I also saw, years ago, Gerald Tessier shave with no guards and with guards set all the way out and back, in a video.. He made it look simple..
    It was a very valuable, time saving, learning experience. No more shave holes... No more frustration fighting guard adjustments.
    I've since learned that many use no guards.

I know some will disagree, as they have in the past, and that's cool... Different strokes for different folks..

13. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

I replaced my set screws on my Dakota guards with thumb screws instead of fighting with the allen head set screws. 8-32 size at Lowes. Had to take my dremel tool and cut them off to size but much easier to work with.

14. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

The new guards just made it easier for me to adjust. I found that the newones have to be taken off to be cleaned before I put it back in storage..... Usually after I have done 3-4 hides. I still have my brass guards.

15. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

No matter who you saw shaving without guards, it was wrong then, and it's still wrong now! That really isn't a item for "personal preference". Kinda like steeling with sixteen penny nails.( some call it tuning) It's just not correct usage of the machine.

https://www.uline.com/BL_969/?pricode=WA4594&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-7893&utm_campaign=Gloves

16. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Ok. I'll reinstall them. :) If I can find them 10 years later.
    Those gloves look very uncomfortable. :eek: