1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition wood duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Trailblazer, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Trailblazer

Trailblazer New Member

Thinking about trying out a competition mount for first time. Was wondering about incision on wood duck belly. Should it be north/south (breast to near vent) or east/west (leg to leg)?

2. spencer2

spencer2 Member

There are a lot of more important things in competition than where to make the incision? Ask someone that you know who has been in competition to see their critique sheet. The sheet will show you rules of the game.

3. Trailblazer

Trailblazer New Member

Wow, I thought this was a forum where you could get help. If I knew someone whom has already competed I wouldn't have to ask here. You would think all things in a competition would be important.
    Very discouraging.

4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Trailblazer just stick with what ever incision you always do and are comfortable doing . It doesn't matter what incision you do. The best advice I can give you is to start with a prime bird and use a lot of reference . You can also search in the archives there is a lot of post about doing comp birds in there .Good luck and have fun .
    Tommy Rogers
    Rogers wildlife taxidermy

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

First off if you plan to get answers you may want to wait longer than a single day before complaining. Asking for help equals having patience.

As far as using any certain bird as a competition piece, we kinda need to know (preferably see pics) your skill level. With all the feather patterns on a wood duck you better know your stuff. By asking how to skin it I assume you aren't so confident . You know your strengths and weaknesses, not us. Use whatever methods work best for you. You aren't going to gain points one way or the other . Quality work is quality work. Ask opinions from the gallery and you will get so many different answers your head will spin.

I would suggest to put together the best bird you can and let the judge do his or her job. Listen to their critiques and learn from them. The harder the pose or type of bird you choose, the harder you are making it on yourself .

Enter it in either commercial or professional categories and have fun learning what you need to work on.

6. spencer2

spencer2 Member

I didn't mean anything negative by my incision statement. A judge won't feel for your incision like they do for deer. Like one poster said do what's comfortable for you. The main objective for comp. is correct anatomy and skin/feather placement. How many birds have you mounted so far?

7. carplips

carplips New Member

I have always had my best luck on wood ducks with leg to leg incision because I done get any tears or rips in the skin, but if you do down the breast just always treat it like wet toilet paper, they are easy to rip.

8. WTRFWLN

WTRFWLN New Member

I think spencer was spot on. I wish I had a judging sheet the first time I entered a comp. All Trail had to do was thank Spencer for his comment and ask if anybody here had one to down load? That would have got you way father than to just bitch about it on your 2nd post? I guess we owe these people that come on here and demand info???

Good luck on your wood duck!

9. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

At any skill level you can enter a compition mount so that really doesn't matter. The ones I have entered where all breast to butt incisions. I did that because that's what I knew at the time and as stated I was comfortable with. If I was to do one today and it was a standing wood duck I"d follow the example Wolfgang had on here which was a back incision. Do what suits your ability and comfort level. As they say just jump in the poo and enter a comp. One thing I'll guarantee is if you leave your ego behind and listen to your judges critique you'll walk away a better Taxi for sure. JMO

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

X2 I have been using it more and more. Even on flying mounts.

I miss Wofgang . . .

11. Trailblazer

Trailblazer New Member

Thank you all for your opinions and support.

12. Yep, he was very GENEROUS with his time and skills on this site.