1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ysb123, Oct 11, 2015.

1. ysb123

ysb123 Member

Anyone have any issues with Krowtan, I'm about to use it for the first time. If anyone has any negative results I'd like to here them, all I've heard are good things about it.

2. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

I have done at least 100 deer capes, zero problems. Oil after shaving and you will gain at least 1 inch of stretch.

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I've found that I need to follow the directions to re-neutralize the cape to get adequate stretch frequently. Other than that, great product and very hassle free.

4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Same as Jared with me too. Just follow the instructions and it works great .
    Tommy

5. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

I've used it for 13 years on hundreds of whitetails and haven't had any problems with stretch, but many factors go into how much stretch you'll get.

First thing is stir and mix ingredients thoroughly. Shake your bottles every couple weeks to keep things mixed properly. Whitetail formula has oil in it to help with longevity and stretch.

Use the formula before expiration date. The oil will break down and separate as it gets older. It will still tan it but the oil will crystalize and be non beneficial.

I usually don't final shave my capes until the following day after neutralization, this allows time for the neutralization process to penetrate fully, especially on bigger, thicker skinned animals. After all, the dermis is already saturated before the process is started, it's like trying to get a wet bath towel to accept more water. I also leave larger capes in the formula for an extra 5 minutes or use a larger amount of ingredients ( per the instructions ).

After neutralization, capes are shaved thin, prepped, and left to sweat in a bag overnight before mounting. I consistently get between 2 to 6 inches, of stretch. Yes I said 6".

Cape size is another factor in the amount of stretch you'll get. The more real estate, the more stretch. The typical deer here in the shop is 22" and I always get 2" to 3" at that size.

Best, Steve

6. ysb123

ysb123 Member

What about capes I have salted.. Will that hurt anything with the Krowtan?

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I always had to neutralize for longer and use more bsoda to neutralize or I wouldn't get any stretch. I also agree on the oiling to get more stretch too.

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Still waiting to hear about a mount failing after years of hanging on the wall.

It just isnt happening.

Years keep ticking by.

Nothing.

9. TEThomas

TEThomas Member

Can you over neutralize?

10. livbucks

Maybe if you forget and leave it in the soda for a day or two.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I use it on 'sensitive' mounts, ones I do not ship out (pets, etc.) Never had a problem, but I always oil them because I do not want cracking from drying too much in the future.

12. duece

duece Member

I dont comment on Krowtan to much.But that being said i used it for over seven years an still love this stuff. If it wasnt for this tann i would never got into this fine art.Just do as the directions say an you will be fine

13. I love Krowtann. I just started using it last year and it is great. I've tanned goats, fallow deer, boars, and a lot of whitetails. And I have only had one problem but that was because the cape was in bad shape when I put it in the solution. Follow the directions and you will be good as gold. Buy it in bulk it's cheaper that way. Good luck

Regards, Tim

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I don't care for it on deer

15. I tried it several years ago on deer and didn't care for the feel of the hide, BUT, I am using it on all my bobcats, coyotes, fox, etc. I will likely use it on deer again this year becasue I get sick of all of the steps in tanning.

16. bhymel

bhymel Member

Tried it once, shrunk the cape really bad, chickened out never used it again! Sticking with pickle, and lutan!

17. I use it with no issues following directions exactly. If any questions, call Ozark Woods and they usually answer phone. I always oil & sweat my capes overnight in fridge before mounting. Properly thinned they give me good stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. livbucks

I left a KT cape in the fridge for 6 weeks in a bag before I got it mounted. Zero problems. Didnt grow mold or anything. You'd a thought it was in there only one day.

19. I've used it several times.. And it's shrunk every one of my capes. 2-3 inches bad sometimes. Ive tried everything because the steps are so easy and it doesn't take as long but for whitetails it's not the thing to use.

20. livbucks

Until you shave the cape it will indeed appear shrunken. A proper shave is paramount to using KT.