1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ysb123, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

A lot of people blame the tan for everything, especially shrinkage. Most people don't take into account the fact that they are mounting things while the hide is very wet. If it's sopping wet, that moister has to evaporate, causing considerable shrinkage... It also dilutes the glue, diminishing the glues holding strength, causing drumming and what some people observe as shrinkage. But of course, it's always the tans fault.....

2. I used it once and had shrinkage but I blame it on myself and not proper shaving once complete. I'm gonna try it again soon.

3. I use it on my small mammals with no trouble. Like everyone else said just do what the instructions say to do.

4. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

i am horrible at taxidermy but still trying to learn. i have used krowtann a few times and its pretty easy to use. i did get alot of shrinkage but thats probably because i didnt shave it good enough.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

A quality shave is with a round wheel, needed for good stretch, other wise dry preserve. Any home tan, whether its Liquid tan, EZ 100, Lutan etc. all need to be shaved or you will have a thick skin that will shrink. Razor blades, knives won't do it for a thin even cape, sorry.

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Oiling the skin after the shave also has an impact on the stretch.

7. It is what I use exclusively the whitetail formula that is. Swear by it. Good luck!

8. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Not sure why people have the shrinkage ; after shaved the hide has great stretch . ???