1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bighorn Sheep

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by n.ricker, Oct 13, 2015.

1. One of my clients drew a sheep tag this year. The hunt is in Nov., is there anything I need to be concerned with? I have mounted many deer and elk no sheep yet. I just want to do my homework now before I have the sheep in hand. Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Swtchmob21

Swtchmob21 Active Member

A couple things to remember.

1. Sheep eyes are completely different than deer and Elk eyes sheep have a shelf eye study lots of photos and video eyes on sheep are what separate the pros from the pretenders

2. Noise and lips, nose and lips my friend this is a huge deal on sheep that nose you get it wrong and it will mess the whole thing up. Study lots of reference

3. Just use the whole top of the skull of the sheep instead of using the form eyes just go off of the skull that way it's idiot proof for setting eyes right and making sure the skin goes to the top of the horn

3. Thanks for the tips. Anyone else?

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Pretty much in the same vein as a Corsican or any of the sheep in a preserve. Obviously in a different class, much bigger horns and body size, get reference and dvd if you want more study aids.

5. Jacob N.

Jacob N. Member

Idaho
    Start with a good form. Being from Oregon I would use a Bill Lancaster sheep form from Research. Dewayne Dewey has great forms as well. Horn set is critical as has been mentioned. On Bills forms you put the back of the "bone" of the eye socket of the skull to match up with the back of the eye on the form. Usually the front of the "bone" of the eye socket will extend over the the front of the eye on the form. I hope that makes sense. Take lots of pictures when the head comes in and take notes of hair patterns, shapes of eyes nose etc. use your pics and notes when you mount it. Have fun with it!

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Lots of prayers once it leaves on route to and from the tannery. Especially if it is lifesize. You being in Oregon I would send it to bill at Glacier Fur in Montana. He will take care of you.

7. point75

point75 Member

1) Most rams are caped on the side of a mountain, so I assume your buddy will cape this ram in the field. Some pointers from you on how to cape and take care of the hide will go a long way towards making sure you get a good cape.

2) A tannery you trust with your life.

3) Horn placement, horn placement, and horn placement once you start mounting. Get your buddy to take a lot death reference photos and also teach him how to get some of the critical measurements.