1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Vendor Issues

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by dwimberly, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    So I recently placed an order from Second 2 Nature and had some issues. I have ordered from them many times in the past. I will admit they are not the most accurate vendor on the market, but they are close to me and they are cheaper than anyone else on a lot of things. I will also admit they do not have the best manikins on the market. They usually require some tweaking but I save a lot of money with them and I figure the labor offsets the costs. I ordered some Grey lacquer paint a while back and received black, which held up the mount I was trying to get paid for but that was no biggie. However the most recent screw up takes the cake.
    I ordered a Coyote form and it was a simple pose, nothing special. Front elevated on one leg looking left, right, or straight, didn’t really matter. I get the form in and look at the body and noticed right off the bat that it didn’t look like a Coyote body, it looked more like a bobcat body but it had the correct head to attach so I thought I would deal with it later. I get a base prepared and to work I go. Trimming the manikins feet to my liking and then I try to attach the head and WOW!!! This thing has a 2 inch over hang all the way around the breast area and he also looks like a bucking bronco now. So now I am debating on fixing what I have or shipping it back. The closer I look into things the more I find. The girth and length of the form is correct but the legs are about 6 inches to short. I look at the invoice verses what they sent me and this is not even correct. They have the form as being 243 inches long and open mouth. I couldn’t order a lion and get something 243 inches long. Plus the head they sent me was closed mouth. So nothing matches.
    So come Monday morning I call them and they tell me that they will look into things and ship me the correct items. Tuesday rolls around and they sent me the same body with no head at all. So I make a call back on Wednesday and they give me the owner’s number. I call this guy and he tells me to send everything back and he would look into it and refund my money if there really was a problem and also pay the shipping to return things. I also told him that I had to order something from another vendor to get my work done. Well I ship it all back at a whopping $50. It is received according to the tracking number and 3 business days go by….Nothing…so I call the guy back. He gives me a lame excuse why he hasn’t processed the return or looked at the merchandise and says he will call me back. Thursday, nothing, Friday, nothing, so I call him again and leave a voicemail to tell him I am ticked off they are dragging the issue out.
    Well he returns my call only to tell me that he is refunding my money but will not pay for the return shipping being I altered the feet on the form. I just said ok and hung up. I guess if I get anything back at this point I am lucky. Well attached are the pics of what I ordered verse what I actually received and what the invoice says.
    I have since thrown my catalogs away and deleted them from my phone. I refuse to order from them no matter the savings. This Coyote is going to break the bank if I am not careful.

Attached Files:

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Hey, you're the one who chose to go the cheap route. I don't cut a customer slack when he takes it to the 1/2 price guy expecting perfect service..... I sure the heck am not gong to feel sorry for a taxidermist ordering supplies because they are 'cheap'.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

You got a coyote shoulder form with a body. No excuse for that but did you really think the two pieces were for one another. You can make the two work but you shouldn't have to. Slip of finger on keyboard for length, its 24. Second to Nature/Dan Chase stuff isn't that cheap in price, coyotes all in the $100 range, deer heads high $50's-$60

4. That head DOES NOT go with that body form , anyone should see that. Someone screwed up and wont man up, so you got screwed.

This part you wont like at all! Like i said anyone can see they don't go together INCLUDING YOU . You should have never touched it. Never! ,Called as soon as box was opened.
    All suppliers plainly state no returns on alterations of any kind. You wound up inflicting some of the problem on your self.

5. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    Well I never said that I didn't create some of the issues. That is why when I was told they would not pay the return freight, I did not argue. I tampered with the form therefore I deserve that. I would also agree that I could see that the 2 didn't fit. I am posting this not to bash and not to say that I totally right and they are total wrong. Hopefully someone else can learn from this as I did and not make the same mistake. Having said all of that, this is not the only issue that I have had with this vendor and I will not order from them again. Anyone that conducts business this way doesn't deserve to be in business. I am not saying they were rude because they weren't but I will say their order accuracy is horrible and for that reason alone, I am done.

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I would have been on the phone as soon as I opened the box. If you want to do a quality job you have to use quality supplies. I have always thought their stuff was, well, crap. Ordered once years ago, never again! Be glad if they even refund you 50% after altering the body.

7. RTF

RTF Active Member

Well that explains it. So the rest of your story is of no surprise to you?

8. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

If trivial problems such as this cause you that much grief, you need to find another profession

9. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

X2 Cut the head off the shoulder form, attach it to the LS and mount it up. couldn't be easier.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

May I ask why youre putting that shoulder form on top of its neck like that?

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

LMAO!!

12. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Order a McKenzie form and save yourself the grief. Their phone number is on the poster you have hanging on your wall...

13. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

No doubt that is pretty bad and not at all like the advertised pic but it really is an easy fix.
    Look at the bright side. they gave you extra foam. Carve a rock.

14. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

That taxidermy supplier has been around for years. He has had quality and other serious issues for many many years. I have never purchased from him because of what I have heard about his past and what I see in his catalog. If your trying to mount a coyote and you want it to look like a goat then buy from that company.

Going cheap in the taxidermy business never gets you anywhere.

Sorry for your problems but you will vastly improve your work and reputation if you choose good quality supplies and techniques.