1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Customers that ask for price first...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by frenchydermist, Oct 24, 2015.

1. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Hi! I notice that most customers asks for price first...and these are the ones that does not call me back, being disappointed...How can I solve that without having to drop my prices?I follow most of the industrie's prices and customer's are very hard to find in my area...I can't affort loosing projects on prices only...I do explain how hard our work is but this only does not seems to do the trick....any input on how to hook more customers?
    In my area, hunters seems to get a mount of only "the kill of a life time" and this is the only one they want to invest money on..
    Any input on how to loose less projects?

Sorry for my spell..
    Thanks
    Charles-René Bazinet,tatouage et taxidermie

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Re: Customers that ask for price firts...

From my experience I say, don't worry about those folks. If your prices are what you need to get, to survive, then you aren't loosing customers, because doing it for less would be silly. You cannot mount everything for everyone. The best advice I can give you is, do the best work that you are capable of, at the time, and always strive to improve. Put out solid work, be straightforward with customers and treat them all like they matter and word will spread.

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Not that I have it all figured out but I NEVER give them the price until I get my spiel in. I try and engage them in conversation. If anyone calls and ask for a price ask them if they got a deer, what they did with it, etc etc takes them off guard and then you have the chance to get their business.

4. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I'm not in the same line, but it's apples to apples IMO. Why are your prices higher? Identify the things that set you apart from the others. Customer service, turn around time, training, quality, latest technics vs old school, etc.
    What makes your prices a good deal. When they ask, tell them with confidence.

We are the highest I'm aware of and when asked about our rates, I tell them straight up, because we do this this and this. The others don't or won't. Our staff is up to date with the latest and greatest, etc.
    And we have an attitude that we provide a great service at a fair price. No apologies, No horse trading. This is our rates. You want to pay less, get someone else.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I agree with Jim. Redirect to something else initially. With fish the first thing I ask is "have you seen my work"? And, I go from there. But, I also (USUALLY) don't waste a lot of time. Typically, those asking about price first are the ones most concerned with PRICE (imagine that - lol!) If you're one of the cheapest then it's not a problem. If not, again don't waste a lot of your time on a very low percentage potential customer. They'll let you know their interest in you right away if they're trying to bail on the conversation after hearing the price. The thing that many taxidermists forget is that they also need to be good at selling themselves (and their work). So, as one could imagine each individual's pluses and minuses can be drastically different and unique. For me, sometimes if I have the time I WILL take the time to try to "win" this customer. I know that sounds contradictory but it depends on who is on the other end of the phone call and how things are panning out. Sometimes I can convince these types to come to me because I HAVE taken the time to listen to their needs and I have sort''ve befriended them (by asking questions about their story). The way I see it - for some taxidermists you may only be getting (for example) 100 inquiries a year. If you only want to take in 50 mounts you need to make those 100 calls count. Spend a little time with those that want to listen. USUALLY, they will hang up and you've thought you've lost them. Only for them to call later after they've scraped up the extra money. It's a gut feeling. Be personable with all folks and extra personable with those that are higher percentage wins. (Be careful though - it's a fine line between selling yourself and sounding like you NEED the work - they'll run away fast if you sound needy!) And cut out of the price shoppers phone calls quickly if they want out asap. With sales of any sorts, its a percentage game. Don't sweat every job. You're not going to win them all...

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

We do this as well, Have a conversation with them try to develop a quick relationship before you get into price. Ask some questions, "So you shot a buck, how big is he" , "what type of mount are you looking for", " Is this your best to date", " where are you hunting this year" etc..

Let them know that you are interested as much in them as you are their money.

7. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

The "have you seen my work" question is really important. Encourage them to stop by, or at the very least, check out the pictures on your web sight before making a decision. Remind them that there is always cheaper, but you are going to get what you paid for.

8. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Developing a customer base is not easily done over the phone. Try and get out of the shop once in a while and create a relationship with as many potential customers as you can. Word of mouth will send more work than cold calls from the phone. Be patient, it takes years to build a repeat customer base. I also agree with Jim, have some conversation before quoting prices (estimates).

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

That's the problem with this business, customers think that if you hang a sign out your a good taxidermist, aren't they suppose to be if they advertise such. Same here, price first, all of the above.

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I do what was mentioned in asking about their hunt and congratulating them and asking them what they want to do with their trophy to preserve the memory of the hunt. I also tell them I take payments, credit, and can work with them. I tell them they can see my work on my webpage or come into the shop to see my work. I tell them that where ever they take it, they should make sure they look at the work before dropping off the work and ask about turn around time. I tell them my turn around time is 6 months. If they still decide to take it somewhere else, then they probably wouldn't come anyway. As far as I know, I am the most expensive around and most who call bring them by.

11. seaduck23

seaduck23 New Member

So when you go to the car dealer or store you don't look at prices before you buy?

12. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

thanks all for the encouragement and advices!!!!

13. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Great advice. This approach can and will get you work.