1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking for helpful criticism on my fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by kp1498, Oct 25, 2015.

1. kp1498

kp1498 New Member

hey there I am new to the world of taxidermy, and I have done three fish so far. the crappie was my first fish and it is hand painted. the walleye and pike were done with an airbrush. I know they are not great, but I am just looking for some helpful tips and anything to improve. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I'm curious where you learned to mount fish, did you take a class or read up on it and jump in?

3. kp1498

kp1498 New Member

Just a lot of reading and research online then I decided to give it a try. These are all my own personal fish.

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

If you want to continue to mount fish you really should find a way to get some training. There are so many areas on these fish that need to be addressed that wherever you got your information from was either lacking the needed instructions or you interpreted it wrong. However...that said, at least you tried. Learn from your mistakes and correct then as you mount your own fish. Good luck..JL

5. kp1498

kp1498 New Member

Thank you for the response, right now I'm in school, but hopefully this summer I will be able to get the proper training as mentioned. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm always looking to improve. Thank you

6. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

Join your state association as there is much information that will be helpful to you as well as taking seminars. That would be a start as others have said you need proper instructions to assist you in a good mount. If you continue the path you are on now it will only disappoint you. Good luck with it and do not ever give up you will excel.

Regards,
    Sam

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Agreed with Sam. Joining your state association will aid you some much in taxidermy where you will learn proper techniques that are up to date with todays chemicals, ways of doing things and painting etc.
    Watching videos on the net can be so wrong to see. I have so many misguided ways of doing things and you can kind off see that's where your going.
    If your going to watch videos then watch those who are very well known in the industry and watch those that are more up to date of todays world for even in the past things have changed greatly but so many are here to stay.

It's great that you can here for some good help and more than not get good advice and Welcome to the art of taxidermy. It can be very frustrating learning this art and I hope you continue and educating yourself. Never stop learning for when you do then it's time to see that great fish God above and tell him where's he's wrong lol.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

kp1498,

Two things to keep in mind here:

1. The fact that you are humbly open to constructive criticism says you will get there a lot sooner than those that aren't. I know guys that refuse to compete because their egos can't take it. Needless to say most of them are stuck in a mediocre level.

2. We all started somewhere and I can assure you that most of us that are self taught wouldn't want you to see our first fish!

Well course with the exception of Frank. His mom and dad had to get him some paint and put an airbrush holder on his crib! And he was probably mounting the aquarium fish in the house before he learned to walk.

Seriously though it would be interesting to see DaVinci or Michaelangelo's very first sculptures and drawings! You might be surprised!

9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well course with the exception of Frank. His mom and dad had to get him some paint and put an airbrush holder on his crib! And he was probably mounting the aquarium fish in the house before he learned to walk

Dang Cecil you must of known my parents. lol

10. kp1498

kp1498 New Member

Thank you for the responses everybody and I will definitely get the proper training that I need. I'm just hoping to learn everything I can and that way I will always improve. I appreciate all the responses everybody. Thank you!

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I know the type! ;D

12. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Read this:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,308503.0.html

13. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I agree with Cecil