1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Wall Art,,,,,

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by bowerbird, Oct 26, 2015.

1. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Just opened up my newly arrived Mc Taxidermy supply catalogue,,, some of the most grotesque concepts parading as taxidermy i have yet to view.
    Carl and Coleman would be rolling in their graves...............

2. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

What do you mean??

3. Very strange concept turning skin into a picture frame

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The head is mounted, I think someone had some African heads mounted on AR some time ago using these type of mounts.

5. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

Put simply
    Taxidermy by definition ,,
    is the art of preserving and mounting the skins of animals into a lifelike manner
    i guess the general public will ultimately be the judge.
    And for most men, i cannot imagine the better half rejoicing at this form of trophy presentation into the household.
    I prefer the purest approach to present mounts in the conventional sense, that way at least people can identify them

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I'm not getting what you are saying either. I have only been in this game for 15yrs. I have seen dramatic improvements in the accuracy in the forms and mounts in this amount of time. So until you explain your idea of "purest approach" we can not talk intelligently about the subject.
    Ralph

7. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

I don't think they're that bad. The zebra one is kinda cool. My wife likes it. She's been wanting me to do a piece that she could put in a picture frame long before the new catalog came out.

8. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I kind of like it. It's unique. Certainly not for everyone, but nice to have options.

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have been doing stuff like that for years. I'm good with it.

10. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

I think Dennis * did one awhile back with a zebra. Different......

11. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Its $$$$$$$$$$ thats all...

12. The Zebra Dennis did was entered into the art category at the MI show. It won best of show and was well received by competitors and the general public. You can view this piece by going to the MTA website and click on 2015 competition results.

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Dennis did an outstanding job on it, different but very nice.

14. seaduck23

seaduck23 New Member

Please post a pic of what your talking about

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

16. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I like it ......

I like it ..... and if your customers like it, then GREAT!

:)

Kerby...

17. DavidsonT

DavidsonT Member

It like someone on here once said-It's not art untill somebody doesn't like it

18. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Not sure why my reply was deleted .......

Not sure why my post was deleted but here it is again.

I like it ..... and if your customers like it, then GREAT!

:)

Kerby...

Kerby...

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think it's a great concept. It serves a bunch of practical and useful purposes. First is that for someone without the room or the money for a full lifesized mount, it allows for much more of the hide to be used and still with a decorative flair. Taxidermy is no longer locked to that Latin definition - that went away when we started using reproductions in our work and then including the bones for articulation and "European" mounts. It's a godsend for the snaptogether generation as well and McKenzie is simply taking advantage of the market. You REALLY don't think they'd have made them had there not been some demand do you????

20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

To add to Georges list, if they are like me, only so many deer heads in the classic poses can be placed on the wall before they become boring. Changing it up adds interest and a break from the s a m e o l d t h i n g. I get picked over other taxidermists for several reasons, however, "you have so many different styles in your mounts and most are out of the norm and very artsy" is always mentioned. I f a person has 2 or more zebras, this might be something they want to set it apart from the others.