1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3D printing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RWOOD, Oct 26, 2015.

1. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Does anyone here have any experience having a skull 3d scanned and printed and the approximate cost? A colleague of mine has a huge alligator snapping turtles skull about as big as two softballs I would like to have recreated if it is not too expensive.

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Something I would be interested in if copies were made. Would love to see some pictures of it too. :)

3. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

I will be by there this week and try to get a pic of it

4. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

Pics added for Sea Wolf. Im measured it right at 11"+/-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Do you want the skull and lower jaw combined or separate made into a scanned file? Also, what is the approximate X Y and Z?

6. Sea Wolf

That has to be the biggest one I have ever seen. Shame that they no longer have the jaw plates. I can't imagine how big the living animal was or how old it must have been.

7. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

It was found in a wetland cell when the water level was lowered in late spring. Lucky they even found it at all.

8. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

I would want it articulated. I will get you measurement when I am back out that way. Just as a rough guess i'd say 8X8X11

9. Sea Wolf

By articulated, do you mean just the two parts separate? Or are you thinking to have the jaw fixed in place and hinged? Two parts separate would allow better examination I would think.

10. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

two separate parts as it is now

11. PM sent RWOOD.

12. Mostly Fantasy

Mostly Fantasy New Member

You can get a better idea of the cost once it's scanned, and the 3D file is available. If printed solid, it'll be a lot more expensive than if you hollow out the model.

13. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

email sent