1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tannery help

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DogSoldierChick, Oct 27, 2015.

1. I have 2 elk and a moose hide that I need taken from raw frozen to mount ready.... Any suggestions on a great tannery to do this for me? Or someone who is reputable in wholesale tanning. I will not handle it well if they don't come out great. I am in the process of moving to a bigger shop and can't do it right now. The elk are here now the moose will not come in until the first of December. Thank you for any help.

2. davehyer

davehyer New Member

Ray weaver, pine acres tannery

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

I Would recommend turning and salting then send them to modern fur dressing in Leslie mi
    (Alum tan ) also known as wildlife. Gallery .. I have used them for several years for skins and capes from all over the world they do a great job with great communication ,... It would scare me to death to send raw skins like that thru the mail fearing they would get delayed in transit

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with ljones about at least fleshing and salting them and then sending to a tannery. I also would be nervous about big frozen items and that much travel.

5. My two cents worth on the Wildlife Gallery... I use them for anything I can't or don't want to do myself; soft tans, large hides, etc. because the Mt. Pleasant facility is right down the street so I don't have to ship. I have taken many bears especially to them and never had a problem...I do flesh and salt everything I take them. But, this spring I took them three Moose capes and I'm not sure if they had some one new or what, but two out of the three looked like swiss cheese with fleshing holes and spots shaved so thin the hair was falling out...took me a day just to fix hides. For as much money as they charged for them I was incredibly disappointed.