1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Short Y inscison

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by charlieaf79, Oct 28, 2015.

1. So I just caped a blacktail with the short Y inscison, I like the thought of less sewing when it is ready to be mounted. I just hope there's room enough to screw and bondo the skull plate in place when I'm ready.

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Do it first before mounting. I set/bondo, Mache, screw down, let dry. Take out screws and pop off antlers, put cape on and install antlers back, plenty of room.

3. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

There is enough room. I have went to a mortified bur to bur with basically the Y cut without the bottom leg of the Y. This cut gives me plenty of room to put the skull plate back on.
    Ralph

4. Ok cool, thanks I'm doing it one way or the other. I'll continue doing them this way as long as I'm the one caping them out. I'm tired of fighting the stitch lines down the back of the mounts I've done.

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I started doing the bur to bur about a year before I went to a workshop with a vary well known taxidermist. He had been doing the bur to bur for awhile and not sowing the seam back together. He glues his.
    Ralph

6. preacher1955

preacher1955 New Member

So rbear how did he go about gluing it back together and what glue did he use forthat process?

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Burr to burr has very little pulling tension as it dries so gluing can work, anything else in the way of a seam, I wouldn't think of doing it. Crazy glue type of product.

8. That's good info and I'm sure I will get there right now to me it seems I wouldn't have enough room to work. I know it will come with experience, just like the first time I skinned a duck the incision was all the way from the neck to the tail feathers now it's only about 6 inches.. practice practice practice!! I love doing taxidermy and learn new ways everyday.

9. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Super glue gell. It is sold under many names. I still sow mine.
    Ralph