1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Hunter23, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Hunter23

Hunter23 New Member

Just skinned out my first duck, there was a bb hole between the eye and the beak. It was ripped out all the way from the eye to the beak. Will that pull together good when I go to put it on the mold?

2. spencer2

spencer2 Member

Should pull together. Just test fit before you glue the skin and don't show that side.

3. vmax

vmax Member

Congrats on getting through your first duck skinning....the first one can be a little overwhelming.

Without seeing the damage, the odds are it will go back together just fine. I would suggest sewing it before fleshing. This way you make sure the skin is aligned properly and not to cause anymore damage. Just keep your stitches small. Do a series of individual stitches and not a running base ball stitch. This way the skin stays the most pliable.

A concern I would have is what path the pellet took...did the pellet enter the head at a 90 deg angle to the skin or was it more parallel to the skin. The reason why I mention it is if the pellet entered more parallel to the skin there is a chance that it shaved the feathers off along the hole/tear and it will be hard to hide with those feathers missing. IF it entered at more of a 90 deg angle, feather loss should be minimal. When you are washing it after the tear is sewn you can see how the feathers are floating along the tear to see if any are missing.

As spencer2 mentioned....if you have the option, make it on the non show side.

Best Wishes!

4. Hunter23

Hunter23 New Member

Ended up killing another drake gadwall so I'll consider the other one as a practice

5. vmax

vmax Member

That's great news...it's nice when things work out that way.

Gadwalls can be a little on the tricky side.....If your are using an artificial head method, getting the skin back over the head can be tricky......Gadwalls have a smaller than usual face. That is the area right around the bill where the skin is cut from the head. Getting that face back over the head can be a little daunting and often times leads to a tear at the face line. It's typically not a huge tear and can easily be hidden during the gluing process, so that you can get the skin back on the head. Many of the other ducks don't have such a small face and you will not run into this little issue.

Not trying to spook you, just information for you considering this will be your second bird you have skinned. Often times the skin can be slipped over without tears. Make sure the skin is well hydrated. Soaking your birds prior to skinning helps with this greatly. Check out the tutorial section. It's one of wingmans tips....good stuff.

Best Wishes!