1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is this grease bleeding through the breast area?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Jason Rader, Nov 1, 2015.

1. I mounted this mallard about a week ago. It's been hanging on my wall drying. I've done maybe 15 ducks so far and this is the first of them I've noticed do this. Came home today and see this "spot" on the breast just in one place. About quarter size. Could it be anything other than grease? It's on the wall near my flesher and maybe I slung something up into it? But my wheel is in a box so I doubt that. I will say that I felt up til this point it was the best and most thorough i've ever fleshed, washed, and rinsed a bird. I'm baffled but afraid of the truth.

[​IMG]

Here's the entire bird hanging on the wall just to give an idea of what it looks like. The spot is about midway up the breast. Other than this I was overall pleased with how it looked. First time pose. Hope somebody can confirm or deny my fears and tell me can I do anything now to help. Maybe wipe the spot with laquer and and a qtip then dry again?

[​IMG]

2. vmax

vmax Member

Yes, it's hard to hear because we all try our very best to not have this happen and it does look like a classic grease stain. It looks like you saw it early.

In some respects it looks like someone touched the bird with greasy fingers. Living in a humid climate can increase the odds of this happening.

Try not to stress over it too much, it has happened to all of us....It just reminds us that we need to spend a little more time fleshing and washing. You could do 100 birds the same way and number 101 will give you fits.

Try turning the bird over so the grease spot is straight up then working powdered borax all down into the feathers and use that as an absorbent for the grease. Do that every day getting rid of the old borax until the bird is dry. Hopefully the grease will not start leaking out the back.

Best Wishes!

3. spencer2

spencer2 Member

Clean your hands with lacquer then take a Kleenex and dab or pinch the feathers to see if it is grease. If so then open the feathers in that same area to look at the down. If the down is dry(clean) then it could have gotten dirty during assembly.

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Jason, I don't know if it's grease or not...but that's your best bird yet! Looks awesome!

Let us know what you figure out please.

5. Wraith/Spencer2 - I think you both are right. I pulled the feathers apart and the down is clean. Whew! Appears that I must've touched it at some point with dirty hands. I'm guilty of over handling them as they dry constantly brushing down feathers and adjusting things. I mounted a teal couple days ago and fleshed another mallard today. Although I don't remember doing it...I must've touched it. Stain was entirely on the surface. Did just like you said with lacquer thinner. Wiped and dried. Good as new. Thanks for the help.

Brooke - thank you dear. I'm just plugging away. Freezer is still full of practice birds. I take two steps forward and three back some days. Hunting seasons are beginning start up. Hope you and hubby are getting plenty of business down south.

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Jason good deal it worked out as you mention but don't think you are over handling them while drying - they need constant attention and preening while drying to keep them looking good. Good looking bird!

7. Hey Jason,
    Believe me that's not bad.I've had worse...it happens...and when it does I have some degreaser than I rub on it and it comes off.I think it is from WASCO...it's their name brand stuff.If you don't have any of that try laquer thinner and a paper towel.Bird looks good!

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

for peace of mind on your next bird lay a double or triple layer of paper towel strips under your incision before you sew it up...I do this on all ducks ,even though they have been well cleaned and degreased....just in case...if any oils do bleed out of skin , they will be absorbed in paper towel before bleeding out.

9. vmax

vmax Member

Great news.....Yaaaaa!