1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Corners of my deer eyes don't dry tight to the form? How to correct that?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by man2hit, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Yep, I still sounded like a smartass, hahaha. If you drain it so its willing to absorb oil, and paint on a tanning oil like pro 1 or trubond or mckenzie tan, etc, then after its absorbs, let it dry. Then rehydrate, sweat it, and it should be stretchy and ready to mount, and stable as it dries.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I use a washing machine (I got for free when a neighbor was upgrading) and put the skin in on spin. That gets most of the water out and then you can oil it.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Back in the old days, taxidermists used duckbill pliers (flat tipped pliers) and pressed the water out of the eyelids. Then you painted on the oil which would then be sucked into the hide. But that was then and we didn't have instant gratification back then.

4. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

A little trick I learned, was brush some peanut oil around the eyes and the nose area. Get the skin damp/dry and brush it on.

5. man2hit

man2hit New Member

Well I do always let it hang for several hours after neutralizing it until it feels pretty dry. However, I have never then oiled the hide. I should give that a try!

6. Commercial tanneries oil their hides. Home tanners need to do the same thing!

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I oil the nose pad and inside of eyes just a tad when working with dry tans. Stops the cracking on pad after dry and helps with eyes. A little oil on my finger and rub it in, seems to work.

8. Second Mouse

Second Mouse New Member

Bill could you answer a couple questions about this post please? First, how long do you allow the hide to dry after application and what method of rehydration? Second, what is sweating?
    I have been just brushing on Mckenzie Tan and rolling up the hide, refrigerating it over night in a ziplock. I haven't had a lot of eye pulling problems but I'm always looking for better methods. Thanks.

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Let it dry until its dry, a few days to a week or until your ready to work on it. Hand full of salt per gallon of water, soak cape for 45 minutes, drain a few minutes, bag overnight or 24 hrs, that's called sweating. Next day it will be totally hydrated ready to work on and mount. I found this method of drying out the cape works better with stretch and non shrinking issues. I use Liquid Tan and its their recommended method.