1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FORMIC ACID PICKLE

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by 1tahr, Nov 2, 2015.

1. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

2. bradenj34

bradenj34 New Member

I use Rittles Safetee Acid as my pickle base.. On the last few pickles I've noticed some blackish spots when pulling them from the pickle after 2 days. I try to reshave them if possible during this time. Pickle is kept at about 65 degrees and ph is about 1.5 maintained... Wasn't sure what this is...??

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I've never encountered these "blackish spots" on using a Safetee Acid Pickle myself, however, I will add that normally I always allow 3 days for a skin or cape to Pickle thoroughly. In any Acid you may use. Once thoroughly pickled - the piece is now slightly plump and ready to shave, or degrease - sometimes only 2 days is cutting it short. Everything else seems to be OK!

4. bradenj34

bradenj34 New Member

Yes, everything else is good.. Doesn't seem to plump up the skin a hole lot like I was expecting but shaving after the pickle seems easier. These spots have occurred on 2 coyotes and 3 coons as of now. Different buckets used, thinking maybe it was some residual of what was in the bucket.. When I pull them I am going to post pics, maybe u can help with an idea if u see the pics... Thank you for the response, love the products it just concerns me what it is.